Trayvon Martin Would Have Been 23 Last Week

On Feb. 26, 2012, 17-year old Trayvon Martin was fatally shot by George Zimmerman. Trayvon was unarmed and Zimmerman justified the shooting by arguing self-defense. Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch coordinator for the community in which Trayvon was visiting relatives. The death of Trayvon shook the nation, a Black child dead on the floor of Sanford, Florida with nothing in his pockets but Skittles and an Arizona.

The trial that followed his murder was the heartache of many citizens throughout the States and began the massive protests against racially motivated violence. Americans throughout took a stance against racism as an institution of violence and the powerful hashtag #BlackLivesMatter emerged as a reminder of the inequality.

Trayvon Martin had dreams of becoming a pilot. His death is controversial to some who believe that Trayvon was acting aggressive towards Zimmerman and was a “thug.” However, most people who feel grief and anger towards his murder grouped together to award Trayvon Martin with an Honorary Aviation Degree posthumously. His parents accepted the degree on his behalf at Florida Memorial University’s commencement.

Courtesy: The Marc Steiner Show

Courtesy: Huffington Post

The silver ring to the story is the work that’s being done every day to end racial inequality in the name of Trayvon Martin and millions of other victims of racial violence. His tragic death will never be forgotten. He lives in the hearts of all the activists fighting to be free and heard. Trayvon would have been 23 last week, he should have been blowing out candles and flying planes.

Trayvon Martin’s parents began a foundation in his honor which is committed to ending senseless gun violence and aiding minority youth. The Trayvon Martin Foundation offers circles for both mothers and fathers of victims of gun violence. These circles empower women and men who have lost a child due to senseless killing. The foundation accepts donations and has an online store with t-shirts and hoodies in remembrance of their son. For more information on the foundation and their work towards keeping Trayvon’s legacy alive, visit https://trayvonmartinfoundation.org.

Courtesy: Common Dreams

Second year student at Florida State University, Creative Writing major, poetry and people is my passion.
Her Campus at Florida State University.