Career > Her20s

Trailblazing Women in the Corporate World You Need to Meet

As we progress as women within our institution, we recognize women who are breaking the glass ceiling for all of us as we move through the ropes of youth. The corporate world has been a volatile environment for women to enter for decades and it has been designed without a place for women within this growing field. We are made to compete with other women and are regularly silenced in the workplace, but as we continue our battle for equity, we must acknowledge and celebrate the iconic women who are absolutely shattering all the constraints we face.

1. Ursula Burns

This woman has transcended her barriers in every possible way. Not only a woman, but a woman of color, Burns was raised by her single mother who was also an immigrant from Panama. After attending an all-girls school in New York, she later received both her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in mechanical engineering. She has since received numerous recognized degrees from various scholastic institutions such as, New York University, Howard University and Georgetown University. Burns began her journey as an intern for Xerox, the megabrand for document printing and information sharing. 30 years of climbing and hard work later, Burns assumed the role of CEO of Xerox in 2009. Additionally, she was acknowledged and became the leader of the White House National STEM program, appointed by Barack Obama during his first and second terms. She now resides as board member for several companies including Uber. Burns is an inspiration amongst so many women and she is undoubtedly killing the game.

2. Anne Sweeney

The entertainment industry is a place to breed creativity, innovation and content yet it often breeds a culture that does not offer women roles of power and control. That being said, Sweeney has contrasted this idea of Hollywood in every capacity. The New York state native attended the College of New Rochelle graduating with a B.A degree and following her undergraduate, she earned her Ed. M from Harvard University. She pursued a career within entertainment with her first major role as chairman and CEO of FX Networks in 1993. She guided several groundbreaking launches for the network including the establishment of FXM, a channel dedicated to studio-based films. Following this, she assumed the role of President of ABC Cable Networks and The Disney Channel in 2000. With the creation of Toon Disney and overseeing the companies various network programs under her belt, she continues to rule entertainment today and for years to come.

Professional Woman
Dane Deaner- Unsplash

3. Sheri McCoy

Between becoming the leader of arguably the top pharmaceutical giant in the world and also of a massive beauty and lifestyle brand, McCoy has proven herself a brilliant icon in the business world. She received her education at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth with a Bachelor’s degree in textile chemistry. She later received a Master’s in both chemical engineering and business administration from Princeton University and Rutgers University, two incredible institutions on the East coast. She found herself starting as a chemical engineer at Johnson & Johnson in 1982 and worked on projects involving women’s care products. In 2009, she was appointed Chief Executive Officer as the global chairman for the company. Three years later, she shifted roles becoming the CEO of Avon incorporated, a global beauty brand. She now holds several board positions and has been named “50 Most Powerful Women in Business” by Fortune Magazine four times now. 

In honor of International Women’s Day this year, let’s support our fellow women by encouraging and uplifting all aspirations held by the incredible female power within us all. Let these boss ladies serve as inspiration and a symbol of what the future holds for all of us. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Isabella graduated in April 2021 from Florida State University, majoring in English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She is pursuing a career in digital advertising and public relations in the entertainment industry. When off duty, she can be found hanging with her two kitties, crafting her 1000th Spotify playlist, or sporting the town in search of the next great foodie spot. Check out her latest articles below!
Her Campus at Florida State University.