The Top Three Celebrity Memoirs You Must Read

With the semester coming to a close, most of us are probably wondering what to fill our time with now that summer is approaching. Not having to worry about classes for the next few months is refreshing. I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to catching up on books that I have put aside all semester in order to read the novels that were assigned to me at the beginning of spring semester by my literature professors. Let’s just say that not all of the novels I read turned out to be real page turners. If you are like me and love a great celebrity memoir or autobiography and into pop-culture, look no further. These three celebrity memoirs, in my opinion, are amazing because each one has a fantastic mixture of personal stories with interesting advice on life that the celebrity learned along the way. Who doesn’t enjoy receiving a little love advice from a celebrity? I know I can’t get enough. The following books are must reads in my opinion.

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Source

First of all, I am the biggest fan of the NBC Show Parks and Recreation. The character of Leslie Knope is by far one of my favorite characters on television. So for all my fellow Collegiettes who are huge fans of Parks and Recreation, or who loved Amy Poehler on Saturday Night Live, you will not be disappointed with her first book Yes Please.  Yes Please is filled with personal stories and wise hilarious advice. The memoir is divided up into three sections: Say whatever you want, Do whatever you like, and Be whoever you are. The book is also filled with many interesting stories about her time on the cast of Saturday Night Live. Most of all I enjoyed that she was upfront about how hard it was to write Yes Please.

Love Life by Rob Lowe

Source

If you have not read Rob Lowe’s first book, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, I strongly recommend starting with that one because it was while reading this hilarious and insightful memoir that I fell in love with Rob Lowe. As his character Chris Traeger, on Parks and Recreation, would say these books are “literally” the best. His second book, Love Life, expands to include even more stories from his life. Stories having to do with observations he has made in his life about men and women, sex and love, and many more important topics. He gives plenty of advice to readers about marriage and love. It is clear while reading Love Life, how much he loves his wife Sheryl!

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

Source

Last but not least, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling is a must read. If I had to pick someone that inspires me, other than my mother, it would be Mindy Kaling. If you watched her on the hit NBC show The Office, or watch The Mindy Project you are already aware that she is a talented writer and actress. This book is filled with so many witty observations I could not possibly pick out what chapter is my favorite, but above all this memoir comes across as relatable while being hilariously entertaining.

Anna Iturra is a senior at Florida State University studying Media/Communication Studies. She loves reading celebrity autobiographies, eating out at local Tallahassee restaurants,  reading the latest edition of Glamour and watching movies for three dollars at the Movies 8 theater. She can't live without coffee, wine or Netflix (currently addicted to Lost). She aspires to be like Mindy Kaling and she hopes to one day live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.