Top Eight Throwback Halloween Movies To Watch This Season

With Halloween and movie-weather creeping around the corner, knowing the best Halloween movies to watch is crucial for those hot-chocolate and wine nights. From throwbacks, classics and newly anticipated films, terror and horror are highly-anticipated this Fall to create the spookiest Halloween movie-watching experience.

Here are the top eight Halloween throwbacks and classics to watch this Fall.

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Every Halloweener remembers this Halloween classic stars Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, and Bette Midler as three awakened evil Salem witches by teenager Max Dennison, his sister Dani and their friend Allison. This timeless Halloween story follows these whacky witches on their quest in becoming immortal – an unforgettable throwback!

2. The Haunted Mansion (2003)

What’s better than Eddie Murphy, a haunted mansion and comedy? While on a family vacation, real estate agent Jim Evers (Eddie Murphy) and his family stop to view a sinister and creepy mansion on Jim’s listing. However, they soon realize the ‘beautiful historic house’ isn’t all that it seems – instead, it’s filled with haunted statues, ghosts and spirits! This hilariously creepy comedy is a go-to throwback for childhood Halloween nostalgia.

3. The Babadook (2014)

If you’ve never seen this crazy scary movie on Netflix, now is the time. If you’re really trying to get spooked, the Babadook might be lurking around. Amelia, a widowed mother, struggles with her fate as a single mother with her son Samuel, who begins to be scared of monsters in their house – until there’s an actual monster, the Babadook, whom they’ve awakened through a strange book in their house.

4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

“One, two… Freddy’s coming for you!” This Halloween and super freaky old-timer still keeps viewers on their toes, as a slasher and murderer Freddy Krueger goes after teenagers one by one in their dreams. Nancy Thompson and a group of her friends (Tina Gray, Rod Lane and Glen Lantz) are tormented by a dead Freddy Krueger, who was burned alive by their parents. When he has you in your sleep and he’s in your dreams, who can save you?

5. The Roommate (2011)

Having a new roommate you’ve never met before is already awkward and strange enough –  imagine one that was obsessed with you, willing to even kill for you. Literally. Sara Matthews (Minka Kelly) is a college freshman from Iowa, excited to explore the beautiful city of Los Angeles. When she meets her new roommate Rebecca (Leighton Meester), they instantly become friends – until Rebecca takes it too far.

6. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Two words that give us shivers: Hannibal Lecter. In this classic horror film, FBI agent Clarice Starling asks convicted and dangerous serial killer Hannibal Lecter for help with a series of murder cases for a potential new serial killer, Buffalo Bill. However, is interacting with a psychopathic serial killer the best way to catch Buffalo Bill? With shuddering mind-games, psychiatric twists and a climactic plot, The Silence of the Lambs is a hit you don’t want to miss.

7. Halloweentown (1998)

Ready to throw it back this Halloween? Then pull up your favorite throwback Halloween movie, from the good old 2000 days, Halloweentown! Marnie (Kimberly J. Brown) is in for a shock when she follows her grandmother into Halloweentown and finds out she’s a witch – and needs to unlock her powers before it’s too late. Halloweentown is the only place where the supernatural can live a ‘normal life’, but the trouble is looming over their town and Marnie soon learns she needs to use her powers to fight against the evil coming their way.

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Last but not least, who can forget about one of our favorite Halloween cartoons of all time – Jack Skellington! Jack, the pumpkin king of Halloween Town, is bored with doing the same thing every year for Halloween and sets out to find something new – Christmas Town. Jack tries to share Christmas Town with his residents to change the atmosphere of Halloween Town, but the residents aren’t feeling Christmas very much. Watch this classic animation for catchy Halloween tunes, spooky monsters, and our two favorite holidays mashed into one!

All gifs courtesy of giphy

Hi! My name is Krysten Brenlla, an FSU senior double majoring in Public Relations & Editing Writing & Media, from beautiful Miami, Florida. I'm an aspiring Integrated Marketing guru, with a passion for movies, television shows, mystery books (Agatha Christie all the way) and finally, writing!
Her Campus at Florida State University.