The Top 5 Movies We’re Looking Forward to This Fall

It’s that time again. These movies are the go-tos for those fall evenings where you just want to eat warm buttery popcorn and catch a flick with friends. With the most interesting plots, and best predictions to become hits. These are the movies we are most looking forward to this fall. 

1. The Hate U Give (Oct. 19, 2018)

Starr Carter is constantly switching between two worlds: the poor, mostly black, neighborhood where she lives and the rich, mostly white, prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Now, facing pressures from all sides of the community, Starr must find her voice and stand up for what’s right.

This is the movie that I am most excited about. One of my favorite actresses is the main character, Amandla Stenberg. I’m anxiously waiting to see what dramatic genius she drops upon us for this movie. With such a talented actress like Stenberg, this movie I presume will take off. The Hate U Give will reignite the activism within us all, as this movie highlights police brutality. After the first trailer released for this movie, I fell in love. I bought the book before the movie adaptation was even a thought. The book will pull you in within the first few pages and motivate readers to flock to the theaters. Because this movie calls on relevant real-world themes like the violence people of color often face at the hands of police officers, it will motivate the activist youth audience to go out and watch this film.

2. Creed II (Nov. 21, 2018)

Courtesy: Where You Watch

Under the tutelage of Rocky Balboa, newly crowned light heavyweight champion Adonis Creed faces off against Viktor Drago, the son of Ivan Drago. This film features Michael B. Jordan, Tessa Thompson, and Sylvester Stallone.

This movie stars my favorite male actor as the main character, Michael B. Jordan.  This is set to be the eighth installment in the Rocky series. How many of us can really say that we don’t want to see Michael B. Jordan shirtless once again? And boxing? I don’t know about you, but that’s one view that’s always welcomed. Tie-in the homage of Jordan’s amazing acting skills and you discover the best combination for an actor and a film that’s going to make it far this fall.

3. Night School (Sept. 28, 2018)

A group of troublemakers is forced to attend night school in hope that they’ll pass the GED exam to finish high school. 

This movie is on track to be a piece of comedic greatness. With stars like Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish, a female comedian on the up whose fame seems to rise every week, this movie is going to be a hit. After having seen this, I will have to say Tiffany Haddish made this movie great. Even if you’re not into comedy, this movie leaves you with a heartfelt feeling.

4. Venom (Oct. 5, 2018)

This features Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, a man who becomes the host to an alien parasite causing him to acquire the powers of the symbiote. He will have to release his alter-ego Venom to save his life. 

This movie is going to be an interesting one to decipher how they’re going to play on the Marvel Universe tie-in since it’s not directly associated with the Marvel Universe and because the film is a bit more intense than other stories from the Marvel Universe. This movie will be separate from the Avengers series and will take on darker and deeper themes. 

5. Nobody’s Fool (Nov. 2, 2018)

Courtesy: Youtube

A woman is released from prison and reunites with her sister. She soon discovers that her sister is in an online relationship with a man who may not be what he seems.

Once again Tiffany Haddish makes a repeat with her amazing comedic talent. The ads are gripping and tell a great story. Although Tika Sumpter is not an actress I’m familiar with, the commercials seem to look as though she’s going to be great in this comedy.  This comedy also features legendary Whoopi Goldberg, as the mother of the two main characters.

The movies I’m looking forward to the most are definitely The Hate U Give and Creed II. I feel as though The Hate U Give will leave a strong message of empowerment for people of color. Creed is my second favorite movie and has my favorite actor in it. The first one was so good, and we know the second one is going to kill it. 

Kamaria is a double major in English Literature & Communications. Kamaria has served two companies with their editing departments for blogging and journalism. She has been published in two literary magazines. When she’s not watching Netflix, traveling, reading, or writing; you can catch her watching and playing sports. Please email any praise, comments, tips, hate, or inquiries to kyi7777@gmail.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.