Top 5 Anticipated Movies for the End of 2019

As the year comes to a close, many movies are coming to theaters that fans have been anticipating for quite some time. With the holiday season right around the corner, friends and families have plenty of movies to choose from to go see. Including both an animated fairytale and a gritty American drama, the end of the year releases should please audiences of all tastes.

Frozen 2:

Courtesy: Walt Disney Animation Studios

Children, families and adult fans of the Disney classic Frozen have been anticipating the release of the sequel film for all of 2019. The animated film features the return of the directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee and producer Peter Del Vecho to maintain cohesiveness in direction and production. The score of the movie was collaborated upon by songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez along with the composer Christophe Beck. Also remaining the same from the previous movie is the voice cast, Idina Menzel returns as Elsa along with Kristen Bell as Anna and Josh Gad as Olaf. The plot of the movie will consist of Elsa’s journey to discover the origins of her powers. It is set to release on Nov. 22.

Uncut Gems:

Courtesy: Men’s Journal

Fans of Adam Sandler are probably the most excited to see what his newest movie, Uncut Gems, has in store. Playing a serious role in the drama, Sandler is challenging himself and his acting abilities, which has captured the curiosity of many. The American crime-thriller is directed by Josh and Benny Safdie and is scheduled to be released on Dec. 13. Already, critics have given high reviews to both Sandler’s performance in the title role and the cinematography. The movie dives into the life of a jewelry store owner and gambling addict, played by Sandler, who must repay his debts before it’s too late.  

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker:

Courtesy: Daily Mail

Disney strikes yet again with another big release at the end of the year. Besides Frozen 2, fans are also extremely excited to see the third installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The film was produced by Lucasfilm and Bad Robot Productions and included the star-studded cast of Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, Lupita Nyong’o and more. The movie will center on the Resistance facing the First Order for the final time, which puts the Skywalker era to a definitive end. Set to release on Dec. 20, this movie is sure to be a hit with audiences around the world.

Bombshell:

Courtesy: Just Jared

A controversial release for the end of the year, Bombshell is an American political drama that tells the story of several female Fox News personnel who filed sexual harassment allegations against Roger Ailes. Directed by Jay Roach and written by Charles Randolph, the movie stars Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie as the three female leads. Following the death of Ailes, a cast was quickly hired, and the movie was pushed into production and filmed soon after. It is set for a limited release on Dec. 13 to be followed by a full release on Dec. 20.

Little Women:

Courtesy: Indie Wire

Although it has been released as many different adaptations, Little Women is a story that audiences continuously love seeing on the big screen. The eighth film adaptation of the novel by Louisa May Alcott is directed by female independent director Greta Gerwig and stars Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Timothée Chalamet and Meryl Streep. Little Women depicts the post-Civil War lives of the March sisters as they come of age. As the film is set to release on Dec. 25, it is likely to be among the top choices for Christmas day moviegoers.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.