alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips on Surviving Long Distance Drives

Sometime during this summer, you might find yourself driving, whether it’s for a road trip, or to go home, for stretches of several hours (or days) long. I myself will be driving from Tallahassee to Miami several times this summer to visit family and friends, a drive that can be pretty long (and agonizing) if you’re not used to it or are unprepared. For those of you about to embark on one of these long road trips or drives for the first time (or those of you who have hated your previous long-drive experiences), here are some tips that have worked for me to make the drive easier and more enjoyable.

1. Get a good night’s sleep before the drive.

Though not much can stop the lethargy that comes from being forced to be alert while not really doing anything (which is pretty much what happens when you’re driving on those long stretches of road), getting a good night’s sleep before a long drive will help keep the tiredness from piling when you actually start driving. When you’re caught up on sleep (because lack of sleep really does pile up), you’re more alert and can react faster in an emergency, which is another good reason to make sure you’ve caught up on your sleep. It’s safer for you and the other drivers on the road. So whether it takes a single night’s worth of good rest or an entire week’s worth of catching up, sleeping is something you definitely want to do before you actually get behind the wheel.

2. Bring snacks.

Snacks are pretty essential to long drives. I usually take Pringles and two or three things to drink with me whenever I drive down to Miami, and it really helps to keep me alert. The only problem with eating while you drive is that you run the risk of eating and drinking fatty, sugary or caffeine-filled things the entire drive, which leaves you feeling pretty gross by the end of it (something which I’ve also experienced). To avoid this feeling, try bringing healthier snacks: popcorn (the kind that’s not saturated in butter is best), fruit, sandwiches, cheese sticks, pistachios and almonds, granola bars, or whatever your favorite healthy snacks are. As for something to drink, caffeine isn’t a bad idea, but don’t go for the things that will make you have a sugar or energy crash later. 5 Hour Energy is a good example of an energy drink that will keep you alert without any side effects afterward. Plus, even when I’ve just taken a couple bottles of water with me, they’ve helped keep me focused on the road (and I’ve felt much better by the end of it than if I had drank a bunch of soda or espresso).

3. Have someone to talk to.

It’s always easier to manage a long drive if there’s someone to talk to in the car with you (unless they’re the type to sleep for most of the drive), or even someone to switch off with you when you get too tired. Not only will having a friend with you make the drive more bearable, but it will also make it considerably more fun. However, if you know you’ll be driving alone, make sure that you have someone that you can call when you take a rest stop (don’t try to call anyone while you’re driving!). Either have someone check up on you every once in a while or call them during your rest stop — a good conversation, however brief, can do wonders for your alertness.

4. Stop when you need to.

Personally, I don’t like to make a lot of stops when I’m making the drive to Miami. But, there is no doubt that when I do make a stop, it’s a great opportunity to stretch my legs. Whether you need a bathroom break, are running low on gas, want to eat lunch, or just stock up on food for the road, you should always take a few minutes to just walk around a bit: stretch, toss out whatever trash has accumulated in your car, walk around the rest stop, anything to give your body a chance to be active after sitting for so long. Rest stops are also good places for you to take a quick nap if you really need one. If you are seriously tired and can’t seem to keep your eyes open, don’t just buy a bunch of energy drinks and get back on the road. Set an alarm for 10-15 minutes and take a nap — a power nap won’t dramatically change what time you make it to your destination, but it will make you and the drivers around you that much safer.

5. Sing in the car (or talk to yourself).

I might have looked a bit funny to the other drivers if they happened to see me, but singing in the car and talking to myself have worked for me in the past. Listening to the radio, audio books, or your own music could help give you something else to do while you drive.  I can’t listen to my own iPod while I drive just because I’m too familiar with all of the music, but listening to the radio, with the commercials, talk show hosts, and eclectic music, is different enough that it helps keep my interest (and therefore helps keep me from getting tired). Talking to myself has also worked pretty well in the past. It doesn’t make you crazy, and verbalizing what you plan on doing once you reach your destination, or arguing with whoever’s talking on the radio can certainly help keep you alert and focused (and can be pretty entertaining).

6. Try to enjoy yourself.

If you think of the long drive as boring or as an ordeal before you even get in the car, you’ll be miserable the entire time. I’ve really come to look forward to my drives to and from Miami, whether I have someone in the car with me or not. I like looking at how the trees and the scenery change (has anyone who takes the drive noticed that Cafe Risque finally updated a few of their billboards?), and I’ve even started to like the fact that when I get too far away from whatever radio frequency I’m listening to, I have to find a new station (which gives me something else to do and can be an interesting exploration of the various radio stations). If you’re alone in the car, it can be a great opportunity to just spend time with yourself. You’re an intelligent and interesting person, and hours of you-time is a great chance to remind yourself of that.

Depending on your attitude and how you handle the drive before and after you actually get in the car, road trips lasting several hours (or days) can either be something to look forward to or something to dread. Feeling bored at some points throughout the drive is unavoidable, but following the tips above can help make the drive a safer and more enjoyable experience overall. Have a great summer, and happy driving!

I was born in Miami, Florida, and am attending college at FSU. I'm a Creative Writing major, Computer Science minor, and am a staff writer and editor for FSU's Her Campus chapter. Traveling, reading, writing, and having new experiences are some of my favorite things to do.
Her Campus at Florida State University.