Style

Through the Decades: Fashion Trends That Are Making a Comeback

We all know trends come and go; however, some, more than others, seem to come full circle. Some fashion trends, such as poodle skirts of the ‘50s, legwarmers of the ‘80s, or the early 2000’s heavy eyeliner obsession will (hopefully) never make a comeback. Check out some of these fashion pieces that have certainly made a comeback!

The Scrunchie

Courtesy: Etsy

Remember the good ole days when our wrists were covered in silly bands? Now, you can’t walk a mile without seeing at least 10 girls with a scrunchie on their wrist. And the best part is, they come in all different styles! Velvet, polka dot, silk, you name it! Hit up your local Urban Outfitters to buy your very own overpriced scrunchies!

The Hair Scarf

Courtesy: Urban Outfitters

A close cousin to the scrunchie, the hair scarf is so trendy right now! It’s the perfect way to make your outfit look put together, even if you aren’t!

Bodysuits

Courtesy: Urban Outfitters

In the ‘80s, these may have been paired with neon legwarmers and big hair, but in 2019, women are sporting all different kinds of bodysuits. Trending styles are: halter, V-neck, cut out, even off the shoulder bodysuits!

The Wide Leg  Jeans

Courtesy: Urban Outfitters  

Remember when skinny jeans were in? I don’t miss them. Wide leg jeans are so much more comfortable! Throw on a cute tank top, pair with a stylish belt and some platform sandals, and you’re ready to go. 

The Round Sunglasses

Courtesy: Vint and York   

You have the aviators. You have the cat-eyes. But round sunglasses? Definitely coming back in style. Go get yourself a pair and you too can feel like you were born in the ’60s!

Big Earrings

Courtesy: Lulu’s  

Did this trend ever go away? Whether it’s a pair of hoops or a colorful pair of big earrings, these always make (or break) the outfit. 

The Platform Shoes

Courtesy: Urban Outfitters

We’ve all seen them. Chunky white sneakers, like Fila or Air Force Ones. And platform sandals. LOTS of platform sandals. Is that extra inch of height really that necessary? Absolutely.

The White Heeled Booties

Courtesy: Nasty Gal 

Kind of like go-go boots, but not really, these trendy boots have definitely been seen before.  

High Waisted Bikini Bottoms

Courtesy: ModCloth

This trend takes us all the way back to the Danny and Sandy era! How women are treated has come a long way since the ‘50s, but one thing that has remained the same is high waisted bikini bottoms! This trend is definitely one you don’t want to miss out on. Even though we’re nearing #sweaterweather season, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared for spring break!

Funky Prints

Courtesy: Forever 21

This trend takes us back to the ‘70s when stars like Prince and Michael Jackson would rock a crazy pattern every night! Patterned pants are very popular right now, especially animal print and gingham!

Oversized Denim Jackets

Courtesy: WHERE TO GET IT

Even though we all can’t be Rachel Green, at least we can steal her look! Oversized jean jackets are super in- you can even make it your own with fun, unique patches! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Sarah is a Sophomore at Florida State University, pursuing a degree in Advertising and Hospitality. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts and taking pictures.
Her Campus at Florida State University.