In the next few days, all of us will have to wrestle with packets and stacks of notes from our courses to tackle the ultimate beast. I know I don’t need to tell you this, but finals week is no joke. As much as we aren’t looking forward to taking final exams, they are approaching and the semester is coming to a close. As you prepare for finals, it is important to balance your mental health and maintain a healthy studying schedule.

If you’re anything like me, then movies are the perfect way to relax and take a break from studying. Therefore, in honor of finals week, I have curated the perfect watchlist for all of us to use when we need it most. As you do your best to prepare, I hope these films bring you joy in the coming week and a breath of fresh air. Here are the best movies for channeling positive final exam energy!

“Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” (2007)
hogwarts castle with blue sky
Photo by Jules Marvin Eguilos from Unsplash

I think we can all agree that Harry Potter’s fifth year at Hogwarts was definitely tumultuous. With an absentee Dumbledore, Dolores Umbridge’s presence was enough to make any student dread the rest of the school year. Naturally, standardized testing made the situation even bleaker. Outside of dealing with Voldemort’s impending wrath, the golden trio had to prepare for and complete their Ordinary Wizard Level (O.W.L.) exams. In the Wizarding World, these exams can make or break a Hogwarts student. They determine one’s academic future and career path later in life.

Yet, I believe there is a lesson to be learned from this film. While we are not fighting the Dark Lord, some of us might be expecting the worst when it comes to our final exams. I challenge you to look on the bright side. In the wise words of Albus Dumbledore, “But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” Like Harry Potter and his friends, I believe that preparation and faith will help all of us come out unscathed.

“Legally Blonde” (2001)

pink study area
Nicola Styles
I recommend watching Legally Blonde at any time of the year, but especially during finals week. At its core, Elle Woods’s journey is a motivational tale about setting high goals and doing your best to follow through with them. After a harsh break-up with Warner, Elle Woods decides to go to Harvard Law School and get him back. In the process, Elle’s sorority sisters help her prepare for the LSAT, which includes intense studying. Due to her hard work, Elle gets into Harvard and makes a name for herself.

The beauty of Legally Blonde lies in its ability to show the power of change and perseverance. After discovering her love for law school and successfully representing a client, Elle adapts and realizes that her failed relationship with Warner is not the end of the world. In the midst of finals week, it can be easy for us to have tunnel vision and forget about what is going on around us. However, I encourage you to be like Elle. Study and go after what you want, but remember to take some time to self-reflect and be present in the moment.

“High School Musical 2” (2007)

empty red theater seats
Photo by Denise Jans from Unsplash

I know the majority of this movie takes place over summer break, but hear me out. The East High Wildcats absolutely delivered when they opened the movie with “What Time is It?” I still remember being seven-years-old and dancing along to a song that perfectly embodies the feeling before summer break. High School Musical 2 helps remind us that final exams are a necessary stepping stone that will lead us into a long vacation from classes.

After all, we have spent so much time learning and absorbing new information that we deserve to have something to show for all of our efforts! When you’re in the trenches of studying for a cumulative exam, I encourage you to watch High School Musical 2 and relish in the knowledge that you are getting closer to a fabulous summer vacation. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and remember that we’re all in this together (pun intended).

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

A senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Media Communication Studies with a minor in English.
Her Campus at Florida State University.