Culture > News

Three Florida State Seminoles Have Earned ACC Players of the Week Honors

The Florida State Seminoles have had a rocky start to their season. With two losses against the Boise State Broncos and the Virginia Cavaliers, Seminoles fans were in distress. Many took to social media to express their opinions. These harsh statements included hashtags such as “#firetaggart” and comments like, “we are definitely a basketball school.” One enraged fan even went so far as to start selling lemonade to buy out the coach’s contract. It’s safe to say that these fans were fuming and ready to give up on this season. However, the results of last Saturday’s game against NC State seemed to have changed the minds of these fans. The Seminoles came back stronger and hungrier than ever as the team played exceptionally and brought home a win that Noles fans needed. Along with the win, the Seminoles also racked up three Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Football Players of the Week spots.

Alex Hornibrook, quarterback, Amari Gainer, linebacker and Cyrus Fagan, defensive back, have all received ACC Player of the Week honors following Saturday’s game. According to the ACC, “selections are made by a vote of a 15-member media panel.” Each of these players performed remarkably in the 31-13 victory at FSU’s Doak Campbell Stadium.

Courtesy: Instagram (@alexhornibrook)

Alex Hornibrook of West Chester, Philadelphia, earned honors in his position as quarterback. Hornibrook, who was a three-year starter at Wisconsin and is now a graduate transfer, threw a career-high 316 yards and three touchdowns in Saturday’s game. He also threw touchdowns of 40, 43 and nine yards and has not committed a single turnover in his two appearances this season. In his first start as a Florida State Seminole, he had 40 pass attempts and five touchdowns.

Courtesy: Instagram (@cyrusfagan)

Cyrus Fagan of Daytona Beach, Florida, earned honors in his position as a defensive back. Fagan is a junior at Florida State and had a career-high of 10 tackles. He performed gracefully with eight solo tackles and a fumble recovery in the second quarter that occurred while the game was tied, along with a pass breakup during the fourth quarter.

Courtesy: Instagram (@rari33_)

Amari Gainer of Tallahassee, Florida, earned rookie of the week. Gainer is a Redshirt Freshman that has just made his first career start. The Tallahassee native ended the game with nine tackles and two sacks, while also forcing a fumble during NC state’s last stride at the goal line.

Going into next week’s game, fans are hoping to see the team continue to add on more wins to their current 3-2 record. Football fans are also hoping to see consistency in the astounding playing of the Seminoles’ defense. With another great game, Florida State could continue to see more players on the ACC Football Players of the Week list.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Aiyanna is a current student at The Florida State University as a sophomore. She is currently studying Psychology with a minor of Communications. Her favorite food is french fries and her favorite drink is strawberry-lemonade. Her passions include working with and helping people. She hopes that this passion one day leads me to the field of public relations and media.
Her Campus at Florida State University.