sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Drinks To Transport You To a Beach

Happy spring, everybody! Spring is one of my favorites times of year—the days start to get longer, the weather warms up, there are flowers everywhere…it’s just dreamy. Unfortunately, thanks to COVID-19, most of us won’t be seeing the beaches of Cancun anytime soon. That doesn’t mean we can’t imagine it though! So slather on your sunscreen, grab your floppy hat and bikini and let’s make some drinks that will make our backyards feel like a tropical paradise. As a disclaimer, these drinks are meant to be alcoholic. Do not fret though! If you are underage or don’t drink due to whatever reason, I’ve made sure to include ways to make each drink nonalcoholic so they can be enjoyed by everyone. Now, read on! 

1. Sex On The Beach Slushies

An absolute beachy classic, Sex on the Beach cocktails are filled with springtime flavors like peach and orange. They’re super tasty and super fruity, but I’ve decided to kick it up a notch by making them slushies because what is better than a frozen drink on a hot day? Just try not to get a brain freeze, okay? 

To make these, you are going to need the following (makes 4 drinks): 

• 2 cups of frozen peaches, sliced
  • 6 ounces of vodka
  • 3 ounces of peach Schnapps
  • 6 ounces of orange juice
  • 2 cups of ice
  • 6 ounces of  cranberry juice 

Throw your peaches, ice, vodka, peach Schnapps and orange juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour about an ounce and a half of cranberry juice in the bottom of a glass and top with your frozen mixture! If you want to mix it up and stray away from this recipe, try grenadine instead of cranberry juice or try different fruit combinations for the frozen mix! For those who want a nonalcoholic version, just omit the vodka and the Schnapps. 

2. Pineapple Margarita

378322
Pineapple juice is one of my favorite things on the planet, especially when it is hot outside. It’s refreshing and fruity, not to mention super tropical. This makes it a great base for our second beachy drink: Pineapple Margaritas! Anyone who knows me knows that margaritas are my drink of choice so here’s how to make this tropical version. 

You’ll need (serves 1): 

• 3 ounces of 100 percent pineapple juice 
  • 1 ounce of fresh lime juice
  • 1 ounce of tequila
  • 1 ounce of Grand Marnier 
  • Garnish: sugar or a coarse salt rim, pineapple wedges and lime wedges

To make this drink you’re going to shake (or stir if that’s your preference) your juices, tequila and Grand Marnier. To make that nice, traditional rimmed glass, take a lime wedge and run it along the rim of the glass before rolling it on a plate of sugar or coarse salt. Fill your glass with ice and top with the drink. If you like things a little sweeter, add some agave syrup to taste. For all of the nonalcoholic baddies out there, you have a couple of choices for your drink. You can either omit the tequila and Grand Marnier and leave it at that or you can replace them. I would recommend adding extra lime juice, a splash of orange juice or orange bitters to replace the Grand Marnier, and a bit of agave to take the place of tequila. If you want to get fancy, you can try a nonalcoholic tequila like this one.

3. Mermaid Lemonade

The last one is mermaid lemonade! This fun drink looks like a bright blue ocean—hence the name. With the mixture of coconut rum, lemonade and blue curaçao this drink is sure to make you feel like you’re floating away in the ocean—just like a mermaid. 

To make this drink you need (serves 1):

• Ice
  • A splash of blue curaçao
  • 2 ounces of coconut rum
  • 4 ounces of lemonade
  • Lemon slices
  • Maraschino cherries 

To make this drink, shake the lemonade and rum with ice to combine. Add a splash of blue curaçao to the bottom of a glass before filling the glass with ice. Then pour over your lemonade and rum mixture before garnishing with lemon slices and a maraschino cherry. You should have a fun gradient effect in the glass! To make this drink nonalcoholic, buy nonalcoholic blue curaçao and replace the coconut rum with coconut cream or a coconut syrup like this one!

I hope you now have some inspiration for your next fake beach getaway, or real beach getaway if you’re lucky enough to live near one. Remember to stay safe, drink responsibly and legally and always wear sunscreen and drink water! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Mikayla is a senior at FSU majoring in Political Science with a minor in Communications. She loves chai lattes, reading books, musicals, and waffles. In her free time you can find her curled up in a cozy blanket, napping, or trying to pet an animal (including the ones she shouldn't.)
Her Campus at Florida State University.