As the holidays begin to approach and I start to get excited thinking about all of the incredible food and family time that will be occurring, I am also met with the reality that I am graduating college soon. Although it’s something that I tend to put in the back of my mind (or try to, at least), I’ve finally begun to accept it and have started to think about what the next steps in my life are. With Thanksgiving being this week and as I reflect on my time in college, I managed to rack up a list of things I’m thankful that I gained being in college the last few years because that’s what Thanksgiving’s all about, right? 

1. I’ve improved my organization skills

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of what I’ve improved on during my time in college is my organization skills. Being in college, especially having two majors, I have plenty of assignments and exams, meaning I frequently have stacks of flashcards with me, lots of study guides and sticky notes, and a lot of assignments to keep up with. Thankfully, I discovered Google Calendars, invested in a good planner, and now can avoid having all of my assignments fall onto me at once. 

2. I’m much more confident

This one is slightly cheesy but it’s true. Being in college includes some of the most vital years of our lives when it comes to growth. I can easily say that I’ve grown more as a person in the last couple of years compared to probably any other point in my life. I’ve learned so much not only about myself but, I’ve developed so many skills and abilities that will help me in the long run. I’ve become so much more comfortable in my skin and learned to love me for who I am, flaws and all!

3. My sense of independence 

Stemming from the confidence I’ve gained while being in college, it’s also given me the push to be much more independent. With everyone living with different schedules, there were more than plenty of times where I had to be alone. At first, I would never be comfortable enough to go to a game by myself or go to the library and study on my own but I began to accept those things. I now have no issues going out to lunch on my own or running to the store on my own. I now can appreciate having alone time. Additionally, living alone and away from my parents has forced me into being more efficient and doing things on my own. If it weren’t for this, I would’ve probably never learned my love of cooking and baking!

4. My friends

Last but certainly not least, this one will not come as a surprise to anybody. Although I love my friends that have been in my life as long as I can remember, being in college has brought people into my life who I feel have been there a lifetime. Additionally, even in my last semester, I’ve met some people who have quickly become important people in my life. Some of the greatest friendships I have made have been in these past couple of years. That is something that I wouldn’t change for the world. 

Thanksgiving meal spread with turkey and sides
Photo by Pro Church Media from Unsplash

The idea of Thanksgiving is to acknowledge everything that we’re fortunate enough to have and be grateful for them while spending time with loved ones. Being in college will provide everybody regardless of who they are with so many different things that will be sure to bring good things. Make sure that this Thanksgiving, you take the time to appreciate all you have and all you’ve learned!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!​

Alexia is double-majoring at Florida State University in Sociology and Media/Communications Studies. She holds a strong love for reading, writing, music and enjoys going to the beach back at home in Fort Lauderdale. When she’s not busy catching up with work or school, you can usually catch her hanging out with her puppy, Ginger or at Happy Hour on Friday with her besties.
Her Campus at Florida State University.