There are some things you should never say to a woman. Forbidden topics. The unspeakable, one could say. Certain subject matters are a surefire way to receive an eye-roll or the silent treatment from a girl. If you’re even thinking about saying any of the following phrases… just please don’t. For your own sake. 

Courtesy: Giphy

“I like it better when girls don’t wear makeup”

News flash! I don’t wear makeup to impress you. I actually could care less about your opinion. Oh, you don’t like my winged-eyeliner? That’s a shame because I love it. Makeup is an art and something that girls, including me, do for our enjoyment. Not some guy’s. Barefaced or full glam, I love me for me, and I don’t need any opinion from any man. 

“Oh…so you’re like, a feminist or something?”

Ah, the dreaded “f word.” How scary. Can you sense my sarcasm? I swear some people treat feminism as this forbidden word. Something they’re scared to associate themselves with. They can barely even say the word. I’ll say it. Yes, I’m a feminist. Yes, I believe in equality. So, so what if I’m a feminist? If you have an issue with it then you can take yourself elsewhere. 

“Are you on your period?”

No, actually, I’m not. And, if I was, would that be any of your business? Girls should be allowed to be annoyed or angry without guys assuming that it’s due to monthly hormones. Did you ever stop to think that maybe there’s a different reason for the way I’m acting? What a concept!

“You’re not like other girls”

There’s so much wrong with this statement; I don’t even know where to begin. First of all, way to generalize an entire gender! I can say for certain you haven’t been in contact with every woman on this earth…you’ve probably just a few bad experiences. Second, if I started to act like these “other girls,” what are you going to do? Hold it over my head? Use it as leverage? Make me feel guilty? I’ve met some incredible women in my life, and I would have no problem being just like them.

“Calm down”

Well, I was calm before… now I’m not. You’ve unleashed my wrath now. Good luck.

“You’re going out dressed like that?”

Yes, I am. In fact, I am going to love everything second of my night out. Last time I checked, I’m allowed to wear what I want. I definitely do not need your approval. I’m so glad you felt the need to give your input on my outfit though, but I won’t be changing. Thanks, but no thanks.

“You’ll get over it”

I mean… yeah. I’m sure I will eventually forget about it; that happens over time, but you could at least comfort me now. Be angry with me! Let me have my moment of exasperation and then I’ll get over it. I can’t just forget about it in an instant.

Corrine Bresky is a first year studying criminology and psychology at Florida State university. She is from Port Charlotte, FL, the hometown of the most retirement homes (or at least that’s what it feels like to her). She is often compared to the famous actress Kathryn Hahn, and Corrine can often be found rollerblading ferociously between her classes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.