These Playlists Will Help You Survive Finals Week

As FSU finals week approaches, I seem to be experiencing a decrease in my attention span. Additionally, my motivation to study for my finals has plummeted. And let’s be honest, being stuck in quarantine hasn’t helped nor has adjusted to online learning. So how do we motivate and ace these exams? Never fear! These Spotify playlists are designed to give you minimal distractions while hitting the books.

1. Lofi

If you haven’t heard of lofi music, you are clearly living under a rock. Lo-fi consists of non-lyrical songs, featuring mainly instrumentals from the 1960s or 1970s jazz era and electronic music. It evokes relaxing and positive emotions, even dare I say…nostalgia. Here are some playlists I recommend:

2. Classical Music

music notes
Isaac Ibbott

Personally, I like listening to classical music when studying. Perhaps it’s because of my desire to play piano as beautifully as these musicians, or it’s because I long to be part of the Beethoven or Wolfgang era, but it does tend to keep me focused. Additionally, Spotify has a section just for classical music lovers, so check that out too!

3. Coffee House

Wanna feel like you’re in your favorite coffee shop without actually being there? I got you, girl! And don’t mind me, I threw in a little bit of elevator and lofi music too.

4. Jazz

person playing the trumpet
Chris Bair

“Ya like Jazz?” (Please forgive my Bee Movie reference.) These playlists capitalize on the jazz music we know and love by incorporating cool tones and innovative riffs that bring a natural relief to the mind and body. And I desperately need that RELIEF!

5. Movie Soundtracks

Alright. I need you to hear me out on this one. My teacher back in high school would always play movie soundtracks ranging from Harry Potter to Avatar to How to Train Your Dragon. They’re so immersive and moving. I love them. And let me just say, I have NEVER seen a group of high school kids work so productively.

These playlists aren’t too in your face, but they aren’t so dull that you’ll fall asleep either. Sometimes I find it difficult to read and listen to a song with lyrics because I end up focusing on the song rather than business calc. LOL. So, experiment and find what works best for you. It’s worth taking time to find the right kind of music that’s going to get you through an extensive study session. Now, press shuffle and be PRODUCTIVE! Good luck on your finals! You got this!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Taylor Kirby! I'm a sophomore double majoring in Marketing & Advertising at FSU. You can find me in my room mourning the loss of "Vine" as I pretend I don't know almost every Tik Tok dance.
Her Campus at Florida State University.