Wellness

Your Self-Worth Is More Than a Grade

Just like that, another semester has come and gone. Unfortunately, before this fall ends, we must face the most dreaded time of the year…finals week. It can be easy for many of us, including myself, to get caught up in the stress of finalizing grades and performing our best. Whether you ace all your exams or not, there is no project, test or final grade that defines your self-worth. So, as you go through another finals week, I’m here with three simple reminders to emphasize that a grade is not going to make or break your life. 

Take a step back and evaluate how you’re feeling. 

I used to make myself physically ill over my grades. It got to the point where I no longer enjoyed learning because I was simply focused on getting perfect scores. Once I let go of the intense pressure I put on myself, I began to discover what I truly love to learn. It can be easy to get caught up in the satisfaction of maintaining a certain GPA, but take a step back to check in on yourself. Getting the most out of your education means you should be focusing on finding what you love to learn, not how to receive the best grades. Grades won’t last forever, but your passion for a particular subject can if you discover what inspires you. Focus your energy on what makes you excited to start each day!

Gaining life experience is valuable.

Everything in life serves as a lesson. We must roll with the punches to grow as individuals. When you don’t receive the outcome you want, it’s an opportunity to learn about yourself and discover new ways to improve. Celebrate your achievements, but don’t forget to give yourself grace when you don’t get the grade you worked for. Sometimes the best lessons in life come from unfortunate situations. 

Life isn’t measured by grades. 

Someday, we will no longer be students, which means we’ll have to enter a section of the workforce. In the “real world,” no academic grading system measures your performance. Your work ethic, ability to collaborate well with others and other critical skills will earn you respect in your career. Grades are only a stepping stone into the vast world of your professional career.

If the past two years have taught us anything, it’s that we can do amazing things, even under the most challenging conditions. We’re all navigating being students during such a strange time in our world. The fact that you continue to work hard through school is a better indicator of your determination than any letter grade. I’m not here to disregard grades completely. They are important, especially if you want to pursue further education after your undergraduate career, but they do not solely define who you are.

College is a time in your life where you’re meant to make mistakes and experience many different emotions. Finals week is exhausting, painful and stressful, but you will get through it. Go into this week confident in yourself and all the knowledge you have gained this semester. Remember to try your best, be proud of your achievements and don’t get discouraged if the outcome is not what you hope for! You are going to do amazing things regardless of a grade! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Kylee Seaver is a senior at Florida State University, studying Media Communications with a minor in Social Entrepreneurship. She enjoys traveling, fashion, and anything by Taylor Swift.