I’m a big fan of cutesy Halloween costumes, dressing up in pretty outfits, and taking pictures with my friends, but sometimes that can sound like a lot of work. From time to time, I love a good ridiculous or funny costume, something that gives the same vibe as girls who go to Pitbull concerts dressed up as Pitbull. Now there are plenty of cute Harry Potter-themed costumes you could do: Hermione, Luna, etc. But while I love those costumes, there’s something about them that just requires so much effort and pressure to look your best. So, for my low-maintenance girlies that are the life of the party, here’s my list of a few non-traditional Harry Potter costumes I’d love to see out this year.

Couples/Duo Costumes

1. Voldemort and Nagini

Voldemort is definitely a fan-favorite costume. I’ve seen Voldemort done many times, but I’m thinking this year we step it up a notch with a complementary Nagini costume too. Whether this is a couple’s costume or a duo costume with your best friend, I think this would be so funny to see out at Potbelly’s. The Voldemort costume is also super easy to DIY: pretty much all you need is a bald cap, face paint, and a black cloak. For the Nagini costume, if you want to go super simple, all you need is a green and black outfit, face paint, and fangs. This one’s exciting because it could be a really easy DIY or you could go all out.

2. Dobby and Winky

Now while Dobby was a favorite character in both the books and movies, Winky sadly only makes an appearance in the books. Winky the house elf was a good friend of Dobby’s. The great thing about Winky as a costume is that since she wasn’t in the movies, you can take a lot of creative liberties with how she would look. Either way though, for both costumes, you’re going to need big pointy ears of some sort, a sack dress, and preferably a sock. The details of either character, however, are up to you.

3. Filch and Mrs. Norris

Due to the rancid, rundown nature of Filch’s outfits, this is also a very easy costume to DIY. You just need brown torn-up clothes and maybe a lantern if you want to go all out. Luckily, Mrs. Norris’ costume is even easier. Every single person I know, me included, has a pair of cat ears from some past Halloween costume. Grab those, dust them off, throw in a tail and some whisker face paint, and you’re all set!

Solo Costumes

1. A Mandrake

I think this costume is adorable for people of all ages but particularly if you have a baby sibling or niece/nephew tagging along. You would need all brown clothing and something resembling a bucket around your waist and torso with the word “mandrake.” My favorite part is the little green leaves to put on the top of your head. Adorable.

2. Hedwig

I think this would be so cute with an all-white outfit, a fluffy jacket or skirt and maybe even a pair of wings. For the face you could use face paint, or you could even DIY a little white beanie or mask to have the owl eyes and nose.

I love these costumes because I think they could be done either way: the funny and unhinged way or the cutesy way, so they fit a wide variety of people and occasions. There is nothing I would love more than walking into a Tallahassee club on Halloween and seeing Hedwig or Voldemort — I’d think, “I’ve found my people.” I can’t wait to see everyone’s creative costume ideas this Halloween! Enjoy and stay safe out there!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Chloe and I'm a senior at Florida State! I'm a staff writer at HerCampus FSU and a fun fact about me is that I'm also a certified lifeguard! I love hammocking and reading outside and I'm always down to go for a swim!