Culture > News

The “Talloween” Tallahassee Shooting

This article has been updated with accurate information.

In Tallahassee, Halloween has become so well-known that the entire city celebrates it as “Talloween.” Unfortunately, there will inevitably be safety concerns with a popular event. Halloween has always been eventful, but this October was particularly chaotic due to a shooting that took place.

On Saturday, Oct. 29, there were many gunshots in a crowded area on West Pensacola Street close to the Florida State University campus. Los Compadres restaurant and Half Time Liquors business both received gunfire in the area. Three individuals were detained by the Tallahassee Police after about 40 to 50 bullets were fired. Demario “Ro” Murray, one of the gunshot victims, was discovered in the liquor store with severe injuries. He was known in the community as a family man. Our condolences are with his family and friends as he later passed away. Eight other victims—five men and three women—were carried to the hospital to receive medical attention for their wounds. De’Arius Cannon was pursued by the Tallahassee Police Department after they witnessed him fire into a crowd.

The police followed the armed man as he ran in the direction of a McDonald’s on West Pensacola Street in an effort to stop any further incidents or fatalities. Cannon was shot after the two officers ordered him to put down his firearm. He sustained no injuries that could endanger his life. Cannon was taken into custody on charges of attempted second-degree murder, possession of an unlicensed firearm and resisting arrest by the police. William Thomas (age 23) and Tamylon Williams (age 26), two more suspects, were taken into custody on drug-related charges, warrants from outside the country and possession of a firearm by a felon. However, the investigation into their role in the incident is still ongoing. In response to these and other recent occurrences, the Tallahassee Police Department has released a statement stating that they removed 72 firearms from public property in the month of October, 16 of which were taken between Oct. 27 and Oct. 31.

It’s crucial to understand how dangerous popularized events may become as the city obtains so much traction, even if this weekend appeared to be safe due to the numerous police encircling the city and the shut-off roads. We must stress how important it is to keep safe and be mindful of our surroundings and the people around us prior to these activities. Rosella Cruz, a well-known influencer on campus, posted a message on her TikTok account expressing her perspective on Saturday night as she was working at a hot dog cart across from a club. She emphasizes how the Ubers were not just costly but frequently canceled, forcing customers to walk home. She continues by saying, “Talloween is not very safe,” and offers guidance by stating, “Don’t be alone, watch your drinks, watch your surroundings. Be safe.” In Tallahassee, the majority of clubs are 18+, so even while it is exciting to go out on Halloween and there are plenty of visitors over this weekend, it is best to be cautious.

The community of Tallahassee and the Florida State University student body are offering their sympathies to the victims of the shootings. The Tallahassee Police Department has requested that the public submit evidence that may be helpful to their investigation.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Natalie Willis is from Miami, FL and is studying Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Political Science. Find more through socials! Instagram: _nataliewillis_