The Last Four Years (Spotify’s Version)

As a Libra woman with a raging superiority complex and a premium student Spotify plan, I (correctly) believe that my music taste is better than all those around me. When reflecting on the past four years of university, it is very clear to see that the person who entered Florida State University as an anxious freshman is much different than the almost-graduated senior who writes this piece today. Reflecting on the past versions of myself can be a difficult task for me, so I wanted to make it easier on myself by listing the songs that defined each semester.   

Fall 2019: “No Idea” by Don Toliver

Rather than handling the stresses of university in a healthy way, I chose to learn TikTok dances and bother my friends and family by ceaselessly performing them against their will. “No Idea” was no exception to this rule, as I unfortunately still have multiple dancing TikTok drafts that demonstrate its intense hold on me.

Runner Up: “Lottery (Renegade)” by K CAMP

Not only did I make my mother perform to this song with me, but my best friend, Susan, often likes to tell the story of how I even danced to this at Suwannee Dining Hall. I think that gives you an accurate depiction of my mental state at that time.

Spring 2020: “Savage Remix (feat. Beyoncé)” by Megan Thee Stallion and Beyoncé

Hearing “I’m a savage, classy, bougie, rachet,” during the spring semester of my freshman year changed the course of my life for the better. I am so thankful that this song was created because it gave me yet another opportunity to bother my family and friends with my then-limited dancing ability.

Runner Up: “In the Party” by Flo Milli

Fall 2020: “Intro: Singularity” by BTS

2020 was my first full year as a K-Pop stan, which completely altered the course of my life for the better. My freshman year of university did not leave me in the best mental state, but learning more about this musical genre helped me find joy again. “Intro: Singularity” is sung by Kim Taehyung, otherwise known as the love of my life, and helped me get through many of the hardships of that semester. I’ll always be thankful for BTS and BLACKPINK for helping me find my happiness again, as they are both groups that will always be a part of my heart.

Runner Up: “Pretty Savage” by BLACKPINK

Spring 2021: “The Boys” by Girls’ Generation

When I heard the first note of this song, I knew that it would become one of my favorites of all time. I am completely enamored with Girls’ Generation – the timelessness of their music, creativity of their concepts, and familial group dynamic always keep me coming back for more. Tiffany, I’ll love you forever.

Runner Up: “Mystery Lady” by Masego and Don Toliver

Runner Up: “MIC Drop (Steve Aoki Remix)” by BTS and Steve Aoki

Runner Up: “Scared” by P1Harmony

Fall 2021: “STEREOTYPE” by STAYC

I love supporting beautiful and talented women, so it was only natural that I would become STAYC’s biggest fan. Although my best friend and roommate, Susan, knew that I loved them ever since I heard “ASAP,” her life was forever changed when “STEREOTYPE” came out. She claims that I tormented her with this song, which I performed to any chance I got.

Runner Up: “Eclipse” by LOONA (I love you, Kim Lip.)

Spring 2022: “RUN2U” by STAYC

I don’t know what else to say about this song other than that it completely changed my life. I think that its number one spot on my top songs of all time on Spotify says enough.

Runner Up: “BAMBOLEO” by Red Velvet

Runner Up: “LOVE DIVE” by IVE

Fall 2022: “ANTIFRAGILE” by LE SSERAFIM

Whenever my friend Gabbi looked at her Spotify last semester, she could always find me listening to this song. What can I say? I love women.

Runner Up: “Impurities” by LE SSERAFIM

Runner Up: “Lavender Haze” by Taylor Swift

Runner Up: “B’rave ~ a song for Matilda” by Billlie

Spring 2023: “SHOOTING STAR” by XG

Although this song came out at the beginning of this year, it has stayed at the top of my “On Repeat” playlist since its release. I have loved XG for a while now and have even publicly performed the dance to “LEFT RIGHT,” the other song on this single album. If you happen to be reading this, Jurin, please take me on a snowboarding date.

Runner Up: “august” by Taylor Swift

As you can clearly see, I have the best music taste in the world and should be paid to provide consultation services for those less fortunate than I. Although I’m sad to close the chapter on my undergrad years, I am very excited to see what music I will discover in the future.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Chai tea and K-Pop are all I need to survive.