Reynolds Wrap Gingerbread Turkey Hero Image?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Reynolds Wrap Gingerbread Turkey Hero Image?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Courtesy of Reynold\'s Wrap
Wellness > Health

Vegan Thanksgiving: Five Recipes for a Plant-Based Holiday

According to Plant Protein, since 2014 veganism has grown in popularity by 500 percent with about six percent of American consumers reporting a vegan diet. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it is a great time to look into the rise of vegan products on the market, as well as some plant-based alternatives for the holiday.

The plant-based food market has boomed since 2018. Plant Protein reported that sales have increased by 11 percent and the market has reached an all-time high of 4.5 billion dollars. With the growing market for plant-based foods and ingredients, recipes and meals for holidays are becoming increasingly easy to find.

Here are five vegan alternatives and recipes for Thanksgiving Day staples.

1. Mashed Potatoes

This recipe is super easy and only needs five ingredients! Mashed potatoes are a staple for a Thanksgiving Dinner. This recipe would pair well with gravy or other vegan toppings too! The recipe is by Minimalist Baker and is my go-to recipe!

2. Vegan Stuffing

Stuffing has always been my favorite side dish for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, it took me several Thanksgivings to find a recipe I enjoyed and was up to par with traditional stuffing. I followed this recipe and added vegan sausage. I am happy to say that after trying this recipe last year, I found a great recipe for stuffing lovers who are following a plant-based diet!

3. Thanksgiving Bowl

I like this recipe because it is different from most traditional turkey alternatives! This recipe includes all sorts of roasted vegetables and is a great choice for people who don’t like meat substitutes. This recipe is super simple, easy to follow and can be prepared ahead of time.

4. Vegan Roast

Although I have never tried to make a vegan roast, this recipe seems super promising for people who want to attempt to make their own. I have tried the vegan roast from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods and thought they were super tasty and convenient. But, for those who enjoy cooking or want to try and make their own, this recipe looks amazing!

5. Apple Pie

Pie is certainly one of the best parts of Thanksgiving. This recipe is by far one of the best I have tried as a vegan. It was super easy to follow and I couldn’t even tell it was vegan. The recipe has directions for homemade pie crust, but the vegan crust can also be bought at Whole Foods or other grocery stores!

These are just a few of the recipes that have worked for me. But with the growing popularity of veganism, we can expect plenty of Thanksgiving recipes and products this year!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a Junior double majoring in Marketing and Management Information Systems at Florida State University. I love vegan food, traveling, and listening to music!