Can you believe Thanksgiving is in a few days? I can’t. It doesn’t feel like it’s been nine months but if this year has taught me anything, it’s to be grateful for the things I have and the people in my life. Although I don’t celebrate Thanksgiving for the original reason it’s been celebrated, I see it as a day to gather with loved ones, take a moment of reflection and acknowledge the things we’re all grateful for. This Thanksgiving, some people will practice social distancing, some will be getting tested before going home and some don’t even have to go home because they are home. With that being said, for this article, I wanted to reach out to others, check up on them and what they’re doing for Thanksgiving. So, I reached out to my friends on Instagram! I had such great feedback and responses, from close friends to people I haven’t talked to since High School. It was great to take a moment and have a conversation with others and add to my list of things I’m grateful for.

Although I wish I could list every single individual response, I was happily surprised to see so many people replied with very similar things. Here are the most common responses:

1.    Health

2.    The bonds that have grown through quarantine

3.    Family

4.    The self-reflection that accompanied lockdown and being home

5.    Being able to spend more time with loved ones

6.    Taking a break and focusing on myself

7.    Appreciating the little things

8.    Learning how to be more flexible “figuratively not physically”

9.    Financial stability

10.    Self-growth

11.    Friends

Image by Couleur from Pixabay

This was the main question of my (small) Q&A. When the answers were coming in, I was so excited to see who was reaching out. In the end, it was so nice to see what everyone had to say. For myself, Thanksgiving is extra special this year. This is the first time I’ll be going home this semester (after getting tested multiple times) and I am so excited to see my family and have some downtime. I also wanted to know if this Thanksgiving was extra special for others too. In a fun poll, I asked “if you’re going home for Thanksgiving, is it more special this year to get to spend it with family?” 67% of the people said yes. And for my last question, I wanted to know what everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving dish is! Here are everyone’s responses in no particular order…

1.     Stuffing

2.     Haitian baked macaroni & sweet potato casserole

3.     Mac and cheese

4.     Glazed ham

5.     Mash potatoes & gravy

6.     Candied yams

7.     Pumpkin pie

8.     Corn (a personal favorite of mine)

9.     Lechon Asado (iykyk)

10.  Broccoli casserole

For the past month, I’ve been trying something new. At random points in my day or whenever I remember I tell myself “I’m counting my blessings.” I’ll look around and just take in the moment. Whether it’s a good song, the sun is shining, I’m watching TV or even having a bad day. Taking a moment to appreciate the little things in our day really make a big difference. This Thanksgiving I am grateful for my loved ones, my health, self-growth and music. If you’re reading this, I encourage you to reach out to people you haven’t talked to in a while and see how they’re doing. Ask the people in your life what they’re grateful for. Make this Thanksgiving the most special one yet.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Yes, I will play your favorite song. Currently a senior studying media communication studies & political science at Florida State University. Things I love: puppies (all dogs are puppies forever), '70s music and reading a really a good book on my hammock.
Her Campus at Florida State University.