Culture > News

Terry in Tally: Terry Crews is Coming to Tallahassee

If you don’t know him, Terry Crews is a famous actor, author and former athlete. You may have seen him in a few Old Spice commercials you can’t avoid online. He played football for seven years for the Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins. When Crews retired from the NFL, he moved to LA and after a year, he started acting. He mentioned in an interview with Vanity Fair how he went broke a year after he moved to LA and was looking for a job. But after working as a security guard for a set locater, he was invited to visit the set for the film, Training Day. He was asked on the spot if he wanted to be in the movie and said yes. In his interview with GQ, he said he never got paid for the role, but he was happy to volunteer. This small role was able to get him more recognition in the acting world. Even though he played a small role in the film, people saw something in him and he was offered more roles. With each role, he got more recognition. 

Terry Crews is known for his famous roles on Everybody Hates Chris, Brooklyn 99 and White Chicks. Currently, he plays Terry Jeffords in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a situational comedy about detectives working in the Nine-Nine precinct in Brooklyn. His character is the second in command and intimidates other characters with his strength. He had two other offers at the time as well, but Crews mentioned how the directors created the character specifically for him. He loved comedies like The Office and Parks and Rec, so he took the role because he would feel bad if he turned down such an honor. Thankfully his character was loved by many fans and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a hit. In 2014, the show was awarded a Golden Globe for Best Television Series. The show was canceled by FOX, but fans loved the show so much and couldn’t let it end. They started going on social media begging that Brooklyn Nine-Nine be saved and in 31 hours it was picked up by NBC Universal. Thanks to its faithful fans, the show was saved and is currently on its seventh season. Terry mentioned how he was so amazed to be saved by the internet and realized how powerful a fanbase can be.

If you’re a fan of Terry Crews, you will be excited to know that he is coming to Tallahassee. Make sure to mark this date down on your calendars so you don’t forget! Crews will attend Florida State University as a part of the Golden Tribe lectures at Club Down Under. This event will take place at Ruby Diamond Concert Hall on Wednesday, March 25. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the show begins at 8 p.m. This event is FREE to all FSU students, $35 with valid TCC/FAMU student ID and $65 for the general public. But you have to arrive two hours before doors open to get your free ticket. These tickets will go fast so don’t forget! Come listen to Terry Crews and ask him questions, as this could be a chance of a lifetime.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Greetings, I was a Her Campus Writer at FSU. I majored digital media production and I am originally from West Palm Beach, Florida. I love reading, drawing, and bingeing tv shows on Hulu and Netflix.
Her Campus at Florida State University.