sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Ten Ways to Say I Love You Without Saying It

Going on our fifth Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend and I have learned a lot about communicating our love through little things. I am a strong believer that love is in the details. February has begun and love is in the air. Here are ten ways you can show your significant other you love them this February beyond just those three words:

1. Listen to your partner.

At the end of the day, there is no greater feeling than knowing someone cares about your worries, fears, dreams and even your pointless stories. Putting your phone away, spending time one-on-one and just listening to each other is so important! In any argument, being a good listener is essential. Challenge yourself to hear them out and think from their perspective. Communication is key and shows you care.

Courtesy: Giphy

2. Leave notes

No matter how long you’ve been dating, it’s easy to get caught up into routines. Leaving little notes around can be a nice way to remind your significant other that you love them. These can be in cars, on mirrors, on side tables or even in their backpack. Then, they can think of you and know that you are thinking of them even when you aren’t together.​

Courtesy: Giphy

3. Plan dates in advance

It’s always fun to have something to look forward to. A good way to bond with your partner is to talk about the future with them. Planning a trip or getting concert tickets a couple months out will allow you guys to bond together and look forward to quality time.​

Courtesy: Giphy​​

4. Say thank you

It’s easy to forget to say “thank you” to your partner when you spend so much time together. Even things like holding the door open or complimenting you are nice gestures and they should be appreciated. Never take kind gestures for granted. This will also make your partner feel appreciated, and they will hopefully reciprocate this gratitude to you.​

Courtesy: Giphy

5. Send text reminders

I don’t know about you guys, but in middle school, dating was 95% over text and 5% awkward interactions in person. And while this is the opposite from my ideal relationship, there is something sweet about knowing someone is thinking about you even when you’re not together. Consider sending your significant other a sweet text every now and then reminding them what they mean to you!​

Courtesy: Giphy

6. Talk about your growth

One of my favorite things to talk about with my boyfriend is how far we’ve come in our relationship. We’ve been with each other through the good, the bad and the awkward. Thinking about our younger selves is totally cringe-worthy, but it’s also fun because we can see how much we have grown together. This gets us feeling so grateful to have had each other through it all.​

Courtesy: Giphy

7. Meet their friends and family

I grew up in the same town as my boyfriend and getting to know his family and childhood friends taught me so much about who he is. I loved getting to know where he gets his sarcastic humor and sharp trivia skills from. Even if you are unable to meet your partner’s loved ones, asking about them is a great way to show you care too!​

Courtesy: Giphy

8. Share your food

Let’s be real, this is the most important way to show someone you love them on this list. I swear every single time we eat out, my boyfriend orders the better meal. I always ask for a taste and am immediately jealous. I know he loves me when he is willing to sacrifice his food and share with me! Love is in the little things guys, like french fries!​

Courtesy: Giphy

9. Laugh at their jokes.

When I think about my best friends, I instantly think about the people who laugh at my jokes. It says something when you can understand each other’s humor. We all have bad jokes that aren’t worthy of laughter, but sometimes these failed attempts are the best memories, so acknowledge them too! ​

Courtesy: Giphy

10. Flirt

If you’ve been dating for a while, it’s sometimes easy to forget to impress each other. Flirt it up and go out of your way to impress them from time to time! This could be something big like dressing up and going on a nicer date or as simple as a compliment.​

Courtesy: Giphy

Enjoy your Valentine’s Day, ladies! 

Hannah is a senior at Florida State University. She loves the sunshine and practically survives off iced coffee. She spends her days writing, working out and walking her dog, majority of the time with T-swift on full blast!
Her Campus at Florida State University.