Tammi Van Neel: South Africa Native with Bi-Coastal Adventures

Name: Tammi Lynne van Neel

Year: Junior

Major: Chemistry

Hometown: Aliso Viejo, California

Courtesty: Tammi van Neel

Her Campus (HC): Since you are so far away from home, what brought you to FSU?

Tammi van Neel (TN): FSU has a fantastic international program and a great chemistry department, but I mainly chose FSU for the abroad program for first year students.

HC: How was studying abroad for you? What did you learn from that experience?

TN: Studying abroad was terrifying at first; not knowing anyone while you’re 5,000 miles away from home is scary. After a week, though, it was fine and I ended up having the best year of my life! I learned a lot about myself, what it was like to be an adult after college and balancing out fun and work.

Courtesy: Tammi van Neel

HC: What were some of the most memorable places that you visited and why?

TN: Brussels was probably one of the most memorable places because it was the first city I travelled to on my solo trip. I wasn’t sure what to expect when travelling alone in a different country, but it turned out awesome and I would definitely recommend it to anyone! I met a group of locals who took me sightseeing and then to the best waffle place in the entire world.

HC: What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about studying abroad?

TN: If you’re even remotely interested in studying abroad, definitely do it. Not only did I get to see a lot of cool places, but I also met and formed amazing bonds with other people who are now some of my best friends. If you’re still hesitant about anything, talk to a former student and they’ll tell you to go abroad too.

Courtesy: Tammi van Neel

HC: Since you have been back in Tallahassee, what have you been up to?

TN: Mainly studying and expanding in my profession. I’m a part of Alpha Chi Sigma, a professional chemistry fraternity, which allows me to meet not only people in my field, but also some professors on campus. Other than that, I’ve just been enjoying and exploring Tallahassee.

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

TN: If I have spare time, I like to just watch movies and Netflix, honestly. And hang out with friends.

HC: What is one thing a lot of people do not know about you?

TN: Not many people know I’m from South Africa and have dual citizenship.

HC: What do you love most about FSU?

TN: I love how there’s a place for everyone and that FSU definitely nurtures your passion for what you’re interested in. And our awesome football team, of course.

Her Campus at Florida State University.