Fashion majors, hipsters, and really just about everyone across Tallahassee are rejoicing because an Urban Outfitters is finally here to grace our dismal retail scene. Governor’s Square Mall hosts only a few brands appealing to the college shopper and only recently have several fun, fashion forward boutiques popped up across town. However, Urban isn’t an average boutique; in fact, it’s not a boutique at all. Urban Outfitters has over 400 locations all across the world and is just one of the five brands owned by Urban Outfitters, Inc. The others include Anthropologie, Terrain, Free People, and BHLDN. For this particular store opening, Urban Outfitters management staff from all over the state of Florida came together and was able to open the store in just under two weeks. Although, store set up wouldn’t have been possible without some newly hired associates. 900 people applied for retail positions, 300 hopefuls made it to interviews, but only approximately 70 lucky men and women were chosen.

Urban Outfitters products and audience are of broad and unique taste. Urban has something to offer for every fashion sense and style preference without being repetitive or mainstream. Ranging from floral print dresses and rompers for those who enjoy sweet, playful pieces to unique graphic tees and cut off shorts for those with an edgy side, oversized comfy sweaters to wear to class on chilly days, and maxi skirts for Friday happy hour.

Urban Outfitters has a diverse and free spirit that can be seen not only in the clothes hung in the windows, but in the managers and store associates as well. I talked with Allegra Garcia, one of the recent hires, and asked her what it was like to be a part of this opening as well as Urban Outfitters in general:

“It’s been such an incredible experience to be involved with a store opening. You get to watch the store grow and evolve, and it makes you appreciate the retail environment so much more. I’m excited to work here because I’m able to be my own person. I don’t have to conform to a certain ‘image’ or abide by a strict dress code. They want us to dress according to our personal style and be ourselves, which isn’t something you’ll find just anywhere.”

Boasting fun amenities such as an in-store coffee shop — which is only found in one other Urban Outfitters, located in New York City — and a photo booth to capture your memorable shopping experience, Urban is going to be a sure-fire hit with the Tallahassee college community. Located on Woodward Avenue next to Madison Social, be sure to drop in as soon as possible. The store opened to the general public on Saturday, January 25th. On Friday, January 24th there was a private opening to all friends and family of store associates, so sorry if I already bought what you wanted! Check them out online as well at www.urbanoutfitters.com.

Kelsey is a junior here at Florida State majoring in Creative Writing and double minoring in Psychology and Spanish. Kelsey hopes to graduate in December 2015 and move to Spain to teach English for a few years while exploring the continent, eating lots of yummy food, and maybe learning how to be a better dancer. After Spain she hopes to return to the US of A and get a job in publishing while she works on her novels and short stories. In her free time Kelsey enjoys reading, taking naps, watching Netflix, and exploring places she's never been. She has an odd fascination with serial killer documentaries and aquariums. She loves all things Jane Austen, even her pet fish is named after the famous Pride and Prejudice hero, Mr. Darcy. If not found in her room writing or napping, you can find Kelsey holding the nearest cute baby or wandering the aisles of Barnes and Noble.
Her Campus at Florida State University.