From Tallahassee to New York: Style Guide With Naomi

Major: Retail Merchandising and Product Development

Year: Junior

What Naomi is wearing: dress — H&M, denim shirt — Forever 21, basic sandals — Zara, necklace — Forever 21

HerCampus (HC): What’s your involvement at FSU?

Naomi Elizée (NE): I started at FSU with Diverse World Fashion. I was a stylist and then from there, since I was involved with Collegiate Merchandising Association, I didn’t have a position at the time. That spring I left DWF and then I went to CMA and became a publicist. From there I got involved with Clutch as Styling Director and I was there for two semesters, but I decided to take a break so I took off one semester and I continued with CMA as Secretary. Now I am Bookings Director at Clutch, but I am also involved with other clubs like Habitat for Humanity. This weekend I am going to be involved in the Color Run.

HC: Did you know you wanted to be involved with all these organizations before coming to FSU?

NE: Yes! One of the main reasons I chose my major and FSU was because of Clutch magazine. When I was in high school I was debating between UF, FSU, and UCF and then I realized FSU has a much bigger audience for fashion and more opportunities; all the girls in our RMPD major have gone on to do internships at Chanel and other high places that I would want to work at.

HC: So you had an internship this summer at Seventeen Magazine. How was that?

NE: Yes [laughs]. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life, just because it was an eye opener — my first time living in New York. At first it was a lot to take in, I definitely cried my first week because I was like this is so overwhelming, I don’t know what I’m doing [laughs], but I definitely got the hang of it. I got to meet so many different talented people and I am so thankful for it because I got to make those connections for when I go back next summer (hopefully)! Knock on wood [laughs].

HC: What was your favorite part about living in New York?

NE: There was always something to do! Since I was off on Wednesdays, because I only worked 4 days a week and sno one else was off, I would just go off by myself and explore the city. One of the days I went to Brooklyn, another time I went to Tribeca, or I would [just do] little things. I wanted to make sure I didn’t take my time for granted and that I made the most out of my trip. On my last day I made sure to go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory because it’s world [renowned] and everyone told me, “If you want really good ice cream, go there!” and I finally did that. Even though I was alone I didn’t feel alone because there are so many people and so much energy all around.

HC: For your five-year plan would you want to work for a magazine, live in New York and the whole nine yards?

NE: I definitely want to live in New York no matter what, but with a job, I don’t know If I want to work for a magazine yet, or maybe corporate. I love magazines and after my internship I realized, oh, maybe this isn’t for me because it’s so many hours, but then again watching the feed for New York Fashion Week I was like, “I want to do this!” Hopefully this summer, [I’ll do] an internship with corporate and I’ll be able to figure out which field in fashion I want to go into.

HC: Do you have a role model within the fashion industry?

NE: My definite number one role model in the fashion industry would have to be Grace Coddington! [I’ve been] obsessed with her ever since I [saw] the September issue. I love her and her fiery red hair; I actually have her memoir book on my desk right now.

HC: Would you ever want to work at Vogue?

NE: That was my main drive back home. I’d have my cork board, and [would] pin things to remember and inspiration from Grace Coddington and Vogue and her title there because I’d love to have her title. I don’t know if that’s where I’d want to work, but that’s been my main inspiration and drive to be in the fashion industry.

HC: Do you have a signature look?

NE: Definitely my hair [laughs]. My big bunch of curls is how people find me. My friend once told me how she lost me when we were out, but she said, “I looked for your hair and found you!” I also really like prints; Zebra print is my favorite right now! I like to make [prints] classic, but chic with a little twist on it.

[ pagebreak ]

HC: You talked about New York Fashion Week earlier. Did you have a favorite show?

NE: I’m obsessed with the Marc by Marc Jacobs [show], with the techno, the pyramids and lights. Snapchat was [live-streaming it] and then I saw it on my Instagram, and of course I watched it! It was so cool. [Laughs]

HC: Do you have a favorite account on Twitter that you follow for fashion inspiration?

NE: I like @PaperFashion, it’s on Tumblr too. She basically just does watercolors and remakes images of iconic fashion points. She did it for the Oscars and I like how it integrates art and fashion together.

HC: Do you have a getting-ready playlist for when you go out?

NE: My music choice differs a lot, but when I get ready to go [out] in Tallahassee, I like to play my hip-hop Pandora playlist of Tyga or Bobby Shmurda and pretend like I know how to do the “Shmoney Dance” [laughs]. If I’m going to something more classy, like the Clutch release party, I’ll play my hipster BBQ playlist on Pandora.

HC: What’s your favorite style right now?

NE: I’m really loving the midi dresses and working with it to add grunge; I really like the grunge look! Some people hate it, but I really love it, but I won’t do plaid because it’s too much. But right now I like having [a] jean shirt wrapped around my waist or some sneakers with dresses—that’s my new favorite. My boss Aeyung Kim [at Seventeen] would always wear that, she’d come to work with a bralet, a tight leather skirt, and these dope Nike sneakers and I’d just be like, “can I be you.” [Laughs]

HC: Okay so leather or lace?

NE: Leather.

HC: Stripes or polka dots?

NE: Stripes.

HC: What’s something you would never be caught dead in?

NE: Oh, that’s difficult [laughs], but probably platform sneakers just because I can’t pull them off. I want to pull them off, but I can’t pull them off so I’ll just leave them to other people that can.

HC: How important is style when you’re interested in a guy?

NE: It’s so important, especially after being in New York and just seeing the style and the amount of care that these guys [put into] how they look [laughs]. I love when guys wear the hipster glasses.

HC: Do you have a favorite look on guys? I know you said the hipster glasses, but besides that?

NE: Yes, I love when they wear the Cole Haan shoes with the piping at the bottom with colors like neon green—[laughs] I’m so specific, but one of the guy interns dressed like that everyday and I was like, OMG if you were straight date me. I also love the ankle grazer pants and button-downs!

HC: This is perfect [laughs]. Some guy is going to read this article, find you and be like, “Naomi, I’m here!” Speaking of which, do you have a signature date outfit?

NE: That’s always been my main difficulty, it’s [the] first date/first impression. On my last first date, I literally took an hour to figure out what to wear because this is what he’s going to see, do I want to look really cool, or do I want to look really classy, or like I don’t care? Now I just go with something casual, like a graphic tee with a funny saying on it with a skirt and some hip tops, but it depends on where we go. If we go somewhere classy, I’m not going to wear that, [laughs] I’d probably wear this romper I just got from Henri Girl; it’s red and lace and I’m looking for somewhere to wear [it] to.

HC: What’s something that is on your fashion wish-list?

NE: It would have to be the Friends Layla headphones with the oil slick. They’re so cute and fashion forward and I’m dying for them. Hopefully my sister buys them for me [laughs] because I can be jamming in Stroz and people would think I’m fashion forward [laughs] but still like music!

HC: I’m sure they’re good quality too… so worth the money! Do you have a favorite store in Tallahassee?

NE: Yes, it would have to be Henri Girl. I love it, I’m actually an ambassador for them! They have so much cute stuff for game day, and [they have] high waisted shorts, and going-out outfits, along with everyday outfits, too. They have such a broad amount of stuff there and it’s fairly [well-priced] so I can afford it!

HC: I know Karl Lagerfeld has the famous quote about how wearing sweatpants means you’ve given up on life, but how do you feel about that?

NE: I think sweatpants can be so fashionable especially with the recent girls take on guys look. My boss Aeyung Kim [at Seventeen] was the ultimate tomboy, but she made it look so chic with these leather sweatpants and Riccardo Tisci Nikes that she’d wear them with. I literally went to H&M trying to find an outfit so I could look like her. I think [sweatpants] can look so chic, but they could also look so drag, [so] you just have to know how to wear them.

HC: Do you have any advice for freshman to help get to where you are now?

NE: Get involved! Just get involved because once I started my freshman year I didn’t waste any time. I got involved with CMA and DWF right away and then I went on to help out with Clutch my freshman year. That’s truly the only reason why I got my position as styling director because they knew my face and they knew that I really wanted it. So just [work] toward your goals because no one else is going to do it for you, you have to do it yourself and once you get there you’re going to feel so accomplished. Just keep on going!

Mia Lepp is currently beginning her third year at Florida State University as a double major in Marketing and Media Communication Studies. She is a writer and has a passion for traveling the world. When she's not writing about the latest going on at FSU she is a part time yogi, and trying to find inner peace at her favorite hot yoga class.
Her Campus at Florida State University.