Take a Walk with St. Jude and the FSU Sisters of Tri Delta

Courtesy: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital

Come out and participate in the Tallahassee St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Walk/Run to End Childhood Cancer this Saturday, September 24. The event will be held at SouthWood Town Center. Check-in starts at 7 a.m. 

This walk/run is a 5K series taking place in 61 cities around the country honoring Childhood Cancer Awareness Month this September. Nationally, Target, Thrivent Mutual Funds and American Airlines sponsor the event. All money raised at the event goes directly to St. Jude, who’s mission is to help end childhood cancer and to make sure the only thing a family worries about is their child’s life.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is the Tri Delta sorority’s national philanthropy, so sisters will be volunteering, supporting the cause as well as walking/running themselves. Along with FSU, the entire community is invited to participate in this fun event which will include a patient family speaker, a scenic 5K, family-friendly activities and entertainment. Join the sisters of Tri Delta as they make a move to help the victims of childhood cancer.  

One of the most important aspects of college is taking the time to find what you are passionate about in life. FSU’s Tri Delta Philanthropy Chairman, junior Kylene Pontier has gone above and beyond this idea. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is located in Memphis, Tenn., where Pontier grew up. Pontier was sure to bring this little piece of home to FSU by getting involved in her sorority’s philanthropy events, which just so happened to benefit St. Jude. After becoming Philanthropy Chairman (in which Pontier fell even more in love with the cause through her position in Tri Delta), she was able to get an internship this past summer with the local Tallahassee St. Jude office. Along with these opportunities, Pontier has since then been able to visit St. Jude and even received a private tour of the facility from a young patient.

When asked what she loves about St. Jude and why others should love this cause, Pontier responded, “I love that the hospital is filled with love. It’s not about the sicknesses/illnesses that these kids are facing, it’s about smiling and making the most of every second. You can’t help but smile when you walk in [St. Jude’s]. It’s about making sure the kids have a good time instead of focusing on their illness. I love that I get to do what I love within our chapter and we get to be apart of something way bigger than ourselves. We have the opportunity to increase awareness in our community with the end goal of making sure families don’t have to worry about any medical expenses while at St. Jude, but only about loving their child. To me that is priceless.”

Along with the walk/run this weekend, Tri Delta will be supporting St. Jude even more through their annual Delta House of Pancakes (DHOP) philanthropy event later this semester. The event will take place on October 27, at 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Come on out and support a great sisterhood and an even greater cause!

To donate, volunteer or register for the walk/run, click here.

Hi I'm Jennifer! I love all things fashion, cats and coffee.
Her Campus at Florida State University.