Raise your hand if you have ever been personally victimized by the phrase SYFI (and no, I do not mean science fiction).

If you are approaching graduation, then this is probably an acronym that you are all too familiar with, but for those of you who still have a care in the world, allow me to elaborate. This phrase SYFI, otherwise referred to by Urban Dictionary as “senior year, f*ck it,” has been taking colleges by storm, giving seniors everywhere a reason to blow off responsibilities and make reckless decisions day in and day out. Faced with the terrifying realization that the real world is quickly approaching, SYFI has become the perfect way to justify the stupid ways in which you spend what little time of your college days you have left, and it is safe to say that this is getting out of hand. Seniors are losing all sense of motivation, and their only justification for their actions is a simple acronym.

Gone are the freshman days in which your life consisted of color-coded calendars and backpacks filled to the brim with brand new school supplies. You have now entered the days of full-fledged fear and uncertainty for what lies ahead, and the only way to cope is to act like nothing in the world matters. Good news is, no one is judging you because this is your senior year and you are allowed to do whatever you want. Salvaging what little school supplies you have left from previous years? SYFI. Feel like wearing leggings to class everyday? That’s okay because SYFI. Blowing off responsibilities you should actually be concerned about? You guessed it… SYFI.

While seniors may be struggling to stop themselves from making reckless decisions, it is important to point out that SYFI does not only lead to bad choices. It gives us the courage to go out of our comfort zone and to say yes to opportunities that we may have otherwise turned down. Your college friends ask you to jump in the car and go on a road trip for the weekend? You do it because SYFI. You do it because this is the time to be young and reckless before you are constrained to the responsibilities of being a grown up living in the real world. So what if SYFI got a little out of hand at times? One day you will look back and laugh about the nights you got kicked out of the bar for dancing on a table, all of those casual wine nights that turned in to bar hopping in oversized t-shirts, and the mass amounts of Taco Bell that you will probably regret in the future.

Some may liken SYFI to Drake’s notorious YOLO, but this is much bigger. This is the end of your college days. Days that you will always remember but can never get back. We live in this generation in which happiness is measured by experiences, so if you are graduating soon, go out and do something reckless because there is no better time than now. Go out and do something reckless because SYFI. 

Courtesy: Someecards

Her Campus at Florida State University.