Sydney Considers: Longchamp ‘Le Pliage’ Tote

Okay, before you jump on me, I know that this bag has been around for a while now, and that everybody and their mother’s yoga instructor have one. For some reason people have very strong feelings about this purse. Some people want to be buried in their Longchamps while others would rather be buried alive than be seen wearing one. I personally have the medium-size tote in navy, and I’m going to give you what I’ve found to be the pros and cons of these bags. 

THE GOOD

• Cute: This one is obviously debatable, but it’s Sydney considers, and I’m saying it’s cute…though you might also want to take into consideration the fact that I did still shop at Limited Too well into middle school. Don’t judge.
  • HUGE: Okay, remember those bottomless bags that Mary Poppins and the grandma from Halloween Town carried around? Yeah, I’m pretty sure those were Longchamp. I swear these things could hold small children; they’re so big! It’s actually a good thing that nobody lets me babysit their kids because I would definitely try to stuff a little tot in my bag just to see if they could fit (I would be THE worst teen mom). The size makes these bags great for traveling!
  • Everybody Has One- This could definitely be seen as a negative point, but the lemur in me says it’s a good thing. Look at me; I’m hip! I’m trendy!
  • Sturdy: This is one of the only bags I own that I know won’t break from overfilling it. I can’t explain why I always need to carry around three water bottles, a brick and a family-sized bag of turkey jerky wherever I go, but I’m glad that I can feel confident that the straps won’t break off and spill my jerky all over the ground.

THE BAD

• Pronunciation: How many of you knew that it was pronounced long-CHOMP, rather than long-CHAMP? Better yet, how many of you heard me pronounce it long-CHAMP and didn’t bother to correct me? I get that it’s a French company, but come on. Don’t be pretentious, Longchamp.

[ pagebreak ]

• You Lose Everything: Because it’s so big, you can literally never find anything in it. I can’t count the number of times I’ve had one of those mini where-the-heck-are-my-keys-omg-I-lost-them heart attacks. It’s like trying to find something in a cave.
  • No Inside Pocket: Girls, you and I both know what that little inside pocket is used for. No girl wants to pull a folder out of her bag in the middle of class and have her feminine products flying across the room because there wasn’t a pocket to store them in!
  • Shoulder Straps: I’ve saved the worst for last. Maybe it’s just me…maybe my shoulders are freakishly round or slippery, but this bag will. Not. Stay. On. My. Shoulder!!! Every five feet I have to push one of the straps back up because it’s fallen down. I must look crazy when I’m walking with my Longchamp because I’m constantly adjusting the straps while continuously muttering a string of curse words (just kidding mom, I’ve never cursed in my entire life). The only solution I’ve come up with is to duct tape the straps to my arm, and let me tell you; people are giving me some pretty strange looks around campus.

Overall, I’m going to give the ‘Le Pliage’ bag 3.5 out of 5 donuts. It would honestly get a five from me if it weren’t for those slippery straps. 

As always, remember to tweet me (@sydschaefer) any comments or suggestions about what I should consider next week. Until next time, stay classy Tallahassee.

Sydney is a freshman at FSU studying Editing, Writing, & Media. After college she hopes to pursue a career in the editing and publishing field. She has an affinity for Ryan Gosling, kittens, Netflix, and anything peanut butter. She can often be found “studying,” AKA checking Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, and Pinterest with a homework tab open in the background.
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!