Sydney Considers: The Conjuring

That’s right, with some bad timing on my part, I’m going to be reviewing The Conjuring today…on Thanksgiving. 

The Conjuring, based on a true story, is the tale of Ed and Lorraine Warren, two paranormal investigators that come to the aide of a family (living in the middle of nowhere, of course) whose house (super old and gross, of course) is being terrorized by a powerful demonic presence.

The movie was a hit at the box office, breaking the record for the biggest opening for an original R-rated horror film, and was a hit with the critics as well, earning an impressive 87% on Rotten Tomatoes. As soon as it came out, fans and critics alike were labeling it the “scariest movie of the year”. 

Having literally just seen it two hours ago, I can honestly say that I didn’t find it to be all that scary. And that’s coming from a girl that screams bloody murder when someone taps her on the shoulder when she has her headphones in. That being said, my experience could have something to do with the setting I watched the movie in. Apparently I was the only one in the entire ASLC movie theater that hadn’t seen it before, because everyone tensed up or started nervously scream-whispering to their friends, “this part is SO scary” every time a scary scene was coming up. Or maybe it was the girl next to me that kept jabbing her elbow into my spleen while she mumbled “no, no, no, no, oh HELL no” to herself, or told me what she would do if she were in that situation (hopefully this girl isn’t your emergency contact if your house becomes haunted because apparently all she would do is run and/or sacrifice you to save herself). But I digress.