Sweet Treats and CBD, Anyone? Sungrown Bakery Knows How to Do Both

Yeah, adulting can be pretty stressful. For some, de-stressing can equate to bubble baths and face masks. For Sungrown Bakery, CBD presents a much tastier avenue to relaxation and relief. The best part is that Sungrown Bakery markets these treats while being completely transparent about their healthy, cruelty-free ingredients. The end result is a more relaxed you, a better environment, and a healthier community.

One customer, Dejah Myers, only has two words to describe these treats: “f*cking delicious.” Hanna Vhugen also commented, “I can definitely attest for the CBD’s calming effects. I was stressed for an upcoming exam and a little while after eating one of the products, I felt way more at ease.” Bottom line, Sungrown Bakery has got your taste buds covered.

We chatted with the co-owners of Sungrown Bakery, Courtney Faiella and Hunter Van Skyock, to hear what it’s really like to start your own business while juggling the responsibilities of being a college student. 

Sun Grown Bakery

HC: Take us through the creative process for coming up with new treats and flavors.

Hunter: We often start by thinking of something we like, or a flavor we enjoy. We then try to put a spin on it so we can really wow people when they try our products. We are also never afraid to try something and have it flop! We can always learn, grow and try again.

HC: How do you make your customers feel like their cravings are met?

Hunter: We have a really unique menu and take classic flavors like chocolate or s’ mores and make them into something you can’t get anywhere else in town. We want people to feel like they can indulge in the baked goods and CBD at the same time! If their cravings aren’t met, people can give us feedback because we want people to feel satisfied with us and our products.

HC: Where can FSU and FAMU students alike find you?

Courtney: Since we’re a pop-up bakery, we will announce when we will be selling on our social media. People can find us @SungrownBakery on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Our website, SungrownBakery.com will also contain a calendar of our events!

Courtesy: Sun Grown Bakery

HC: What advice and tips do you have for young entrepreneurs?

Courtney: As cliché as it is, never give up! It can be difficult being the youngest person in the room. You may feel like your opinion isn’t valued, or that no one will take you seriously. So you have to hold your head high, know as much about your industry as possible and shoe those adults who’s the boss

Hunter: No idea is stupid. Once you get the voice of self-consciousness out of your own head, you begin to come up with your best work! I would also encourage them to work hard because you can make your own dreams happen with enough effort.

HC: What challenges have you faced as a small business?

Hunter: The smaller the business is, the more you do yourself. It can be hard work, but it’s totally rewarding. We also have to learn so much, and sometimes that may be through failures. You go through the most growing pains in the beginning, but I’m excited to see where we end up!

HC: What inspired you to create this business?

Courtney: The idea behind Sungrown Bakery blossomed in 2018. Having experienced anxiety and depression, I know how tough things can be. I never wanted to start medication for fear of becoming addicted. When I found CBD I knew it had to be shared with the world. The taste of the oil is not pleasant, so what better way to consume it than in a sweet treat?

Courtesy: Sun Grown Bakery

HC: Are pup-friendly treats in the near future?

Courtney: Of course! We absolutely love our animal companions and understand that they go through anxiety and pain just like us humans. So we gotta include them in the CBD fun as well! Also, look out for our gluten-free products in the next few weeks!

Bianca is currently a student attending the Florida State University studying communication media and aspires to be successful in the media industry. She is an absolute Leo, a vegan foodie, lover of the color pink, and she's usually wandering around town reading a book or drinking coffee. Peek into her life by following her on Instagram @bianca.roxanne
Her Campus at Florida State University.