Swatch Magazine: Florida State’s Favorite Fashion Magazine

Swatch Magazine, one of Florida State University’s top fashion magazines, is taking over campus. Here’s a look at how Rani Morales and Sebastian Irizarry, Swatch Magazine’s Co-Editors-in-Chief, manage the magazine while also ruling the fashion world at FSU.

Her Campus (HC): Thank you both for letting me interview you about Swatch! First things first. How did you get involved with Swatch Magazine?

Sebastian Irizarry (SI): My first semester at FSU I heard about the magazine, and since then it was a waiting game until the right position opened up. In fall 2012, I found out they were holding interviews for a Menswear Fashion Director and, as a menswear enthusiast, that was right fit for me. I loved Swatch Magazine so much; I wanted to keep on growing with the magazine and eventually work myself up to the position I hold today.

Rani Morales (RM): I had actually been bouncing around with my majors, and that same fall semester that Sebastian mentioned, I entered the Retail Merchandising and Product Development program here at FSU. I heard about Swatch’s interview opportunities and took immediate action because I wanted to really immerse myself and get involved in as many projects as I could.

HC: I can’t believe you both have been involved with Swatch since freshman year! I can tell from all the enthusiasm you both have that you really love Swatch. What positions have you held in the past and what position do you currently hold?

SI: After being Menswear Fashion Director for two semesters and Social Media Director, I currently hold the position of Editor-in-Chief with Rani.

RM: I began in the fall of 2012 as the Marketing and Advertising Director, continued into the spring of 2013 as a Bookings Director, and now am Editor-in-Chief alongside Sebastian.

HC: It’s always great to hear about people working up the ladder in order to reach their goals. As Co-Editor-in-Chiefs who manage a staff of over 50, I’m sure you both have dealt with a few issues here and there. What has been the hardest part about being Co-Editor-in-Chiefs?

SI: In the beginning, time management was quite the challenge. Being a full-time student and employee is hard as it is, but I wouldn’t beat around the bush with my team or my position for anything. I downloaded some calendar apps and now use Post-it Notes. Now I don’t miss a thing.

RM: I would definitely have to agree with Sebastian and say time management. I’ve been with the magazine for a while now, but you kind of learn a whole new definition of “consolidation” as Editor-in-Chief. Juggling classes, work, overseeing Swatch, and trying to maintain a social life has been quite the process, but it’s all worth it in the end.

HC: It sounds like you two are super busy! Now for the fun part: what has been your absolute favorite part about being Co-Editors-in-Chief?

SI: Being involved in all aspects of the magazine is one of the most rewarding things I’ve been able to take part in. From the fashion side to the business aspect of Swatch, as Co-Editors-in-Chief, we manage and influence everything. Swatch Magazine is truly our baby.

RM: Going off of that, I think another major plus has been getting to know all of our members. Everyone is so great and it’s really amazing to see the magazine come to life through everyone’s hard work.

HC: You two are definitely going to rule the fashion industry some day. Do you have any future career goals in mind?

SI: I’m at that stage every college student goes through where I’m applying to a good amount of internships in the many segments of the fashion industry. The Retail Merchandising and Product Development program at FSU gave me enough knowledge to work just about anywhere. Ideally, I’d like to end up as a menswear fashion director for a magazine in New York, but at this point, who knows where I’ll end up.

RM: Post graduation, I would ideally like to end up in California. But similar to Sebastian, I’m kind of up in the air right now. I’ve really enjoyed working with Swatch so far, so I would like to continue to work with publications. At the same time though, I’m really interested in several different realms of the fashion industry, so for now, I’m keeping my options open.

HC: New York and California are always good ideas. For anyone interested in the fashion industry or writing, how do you recommend them getting involved with Swatch?

SI and RM: Swatch Magazine holds interviews every semester, right after the magazine’s release. Once we publish, we immediately start planning for the next issue to maximize time and productiveness. We go through a simple interview process where we meet with candidates and hear what they have to offer to Swatch Magazine.

HC: Do you need any experience in order to join the team at Swatch?

SI and RM: No experience is necessary for any position. We welcome everybody to interview. We have members with majors that range anywhere from Retail Merchandising and Product Development to Psychology, and even Criminology majors. As long as you have the drive and the talent, you can be a part of our team.

Rani Morales

Sebastian Irizarry

Check out http://swatchmagazine.com/ for all your you need to know about the “most current and relevant trends every season in fashion, lifestyle, and local culture.”

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be! 
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."