Sustainability is becoming a growing concern for many young people. While we are in an era of microtrends and fast fashion, it can be difficult to determine exactly how to balance a love of style while maintaining sustainability. But don’t fret, I’m here to help you streamline a plan to keep consumerism in check and look great while doing it. 

Buy secondhand 

It can be easy to overlook how useful buying secondhand can be, even for specific events. For example, if you have an event coming up that requires a certain outfit theme, you won’t be too concerned with quality since it will probably be a one-time use. Your first instinct might be to stop at Party City or a similar store to find the kooky item you need. This may be more useful in certain situations, such as buying wigs or other items which could potentially spread germs. However, it can be a great tool to find something that you can use once and potentially recycle to make buying secondhand buying thirdhand. 

Check out local organizations

Local communities may have already found ways to build sustainable organizations such as FSU’s very own sustainable fashion organization! Other details, including fun facts and ways to make a difference in the overconsumption of fashion in the United States, can be found on their Instagram. FSU has many other clubs which tailor to those with a desire to protect the environment, such as the Environmental Service Program. Getting involved in these organizations allows students and faculty to make connections in the FSU community. 

Invest in High-Quality Pieces 

As college students, it can be especially difficult to justify buying higher-end clothing. Oftentimes, these pieces can result in a decreased need to repurchase over time and reduce the amount of waste produced by fast fashion. Pieces that I have personally invested in have lasted me years. I have been able to avoid paying for multiple items by just investing in one high-quality piece. While not everyone has the privilege of being able to spend money now to avoid it later, buying high-quality pieces can be something to consider if you have the means. 

Research the Companies You Buy From 

We have all been tempted by low prices to buy from companies that do not generally have the best backgrounds. For example, Shein’s low prices have been all the rage since the pandemic began years ago. However, there have been allegations of child labor and worker abuse which do not support the quality of the company. Doing research on companies before buying from them can help reduce fashion waste and contribute to a generally safer and better fashion economy. Investing in a high-quality winter coat from a reputable company may not only save you money in the long term (hint hint: read the section above) but it can also help protect vulnerable workers from abuse. 

Being fashionable doesn’t mean giving up on sustainability. Follow these tips and your closet won’t be the only one experiencing the benefits.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Media and Communications student interested in writing for other college women.