Superbowl LVII: What You Need to Know Before Your Watch Party

Whether or not you are a football fan, every year millions of people turn on the TV just to watch one of the biggest sporting events of the year, the Super Bowl. Even if you are only watching for the commercials or the halftime show, here is a quick rundown of everything you need to know for the big game.

The game is being held at the State Farm Stadium located in Glendale, Arizona with kickoff happening at 6:30 p.m. ET on Feb. 12 and will be broadcasted on FOX.

After an intense Sunday on Jan. 29 during the Conference Championships, the Super Bowl contenders were finally solidified: The Kansas City Chiefs (AFC) and the Philadelphia Eagles (NFC). Both teams were the number one seed in their respective conferences. 

As for the teams’ Super Bowl history, the Kansas City Chiefs’ last appearance in the Super Bowl was Super Bowl LV against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to whom they lost. Throughout the Chiefs’ history, they have won two Super Bowl championships, the most recent being Super Bowl LIV. The Philadelphia Eagles have only won one Super Bowl which was in their last appearance in Super Bowl LII in which they beat the New England Patriots. 

The Chiefs’ quarterback, Patrick Mahomes II, has an impressive record in the NFL after six years in the NFL. He has been given multiple awards throughout his career including Super Bowl LIV MVP and the NFL’s MVP in 2018. This season he also set an NFL record for total yards in a regular season totaling 5,614 yards. Although now he solely plays football, back in college Patrick Mahomes II played also played baseball like his father Pat Mahomes, a former pitcher in the MLB, but eventually decided to put all his focus into football.

The Eagles’ quarterback, Jalen Hurts, has started to create a name for himself after three years in the NFL, all being played with the Eagles, and this will be his first Super Bowl. Hurts’ opponent was not the only one to break records this season as he broke the record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in a single season. During the NFC Championship game, he scored his 15th rushing touchdown of the season. On top of being a football star, Hurts also made headlines by trying to advocate for more women in sports by hiring an all-female management team. 

There are quite a few firsts happening with this Super Bowl, while it is neither team’s first time playing in the Super Bowl, this will be the first time they will go head-to-head for the championship. Jason and Travis Kelce are making NFL history also, by being the first brothers to ever play against each other during the Super Bowl. Patrick Mahomes II and Jalen Hurts will also be making their own history by being the first black quarterbacks to start against each other in this iconic game.

If you aren’t big on watching the game itself, that’s okay, as there are some great performers at this year’s Super Bowl. The National Anthem is being sung by country music star and Grammy Award winner Chris Stapleton. Additionally, earlier this season, it was announced that this will be the first halftime show sponsored by Apple Music instead of Pepsi, and will feature Rihanna as the headliner. Fans will be anticipatedly watching as this will be the Grammy winner’s first live performance in almost five years.

Whether you are going to a Super Bowl watch party for the snacks, the commercials or the game, it should be an interesting watch. Maybe now you may even be able to show off a little more football knowledge.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Lauren is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Business Management and Marketing with a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading, traveling and spending time with her friends and family.