Super Bowl LII: Your Survival Guide for Sunday’s Big Game

Ah, the Super Bowl: America’s great holiday. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or a casual observer (or maybe you only like FSU sports), you can have a fun Sunday night watching the highly anticipated halftime show and taking in the year’s most creative and funny commercials. In preparation for one of television’s biggest nights, here are some tips, tricks and recipes to help you kick off this Super Bowl weekend.

Courtesy: Amy Harris of Invision

When:

Super Bowl LII begins at 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time on Sunday, Feb. 4. You can watch the game live on NBC. The national anthem will be performed by pop vocalist P!nk and this year’s halftime performance will be delivered by Justin Timberlake. The artist’s new album, Man of the Woods, is set to be released on Feb. 2.  Timberlake has released few details about the performance and possible guests, leaving some (read: me) speculating about an NSYNC reunion.

After the game ends, catch a brand new episode of This is Us at 10:30 p.m. and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon at 12 a.m., featuring cast members from This is Us, Justin Timberlake and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. As for commercials (in my opinion, the BEST part of the Super Bowl) keep an eye out for celebrity cameos from stars like Chris Pratt, Morgan Freeman, David Schwimmer and (excitingly) Cardi B and Rebel Wilson.

Who:

For the first time in 13 years, this year’s game will star the New England Patriots, featuring superstar quarterback Tom Brady, and the Philadelphia Eagles, who lost to the Patriots by 3 points in Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005. The game will be played at the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Fans in attendance should expect high temperatures in the teens and lows in the negatives. Time to break out that cute, cold weather fan gear! If you didn’t score tickets to the game, you can still represent your team pride. You can find jerseys, hats, t-shirts and much more online from retailers like Fans Edge and Amazon.  

Courtesy: Getty Images

What:

No good Super Bowl watch party is complete without great snacks. Chips and dips are always crowd pleasers. If you’re short on time and ideas, try some of the recipes below!

Guacamole

Whether you like your guac chunky or smooth, onions or no onions, cilantro or no cilantro, this do-it-all dip will have your friends wondering how you got your hands on a bunch of Chipotle guacamole. Bonus: you can use leftovers on a variety of dishes (like toast or even eggs) or just as a snack for the rest of the week. That’s a win in my book!

Yatsula Family Guacamole:

• 4 avocados, ripe
  • The juice of 1 large lime 
  • 1 jalapeño, finely diced
  • ½ red onion, finely diced
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • ¾ cup tomato, finely diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Skin the avocados and remove their pits, be sure to cut the avocado into cubes or chunks for easier mashing. Place the avocado in a large bowl. Chop jalapeño, onion and tomato and add to the mashed avocado in increments, blending well. Add cilantro and lime juice to your preference, finish with salt and pepper. Serve immediately for best results. (Serves 4)

Cheese Dip:  

Who can say no to queso? This super simple cheese recipe can be made easily in a Crock Pot, just make sure to keep the dip warm or it will make halftime snacking a blitz.

• 1 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes and Chilis, undrained (when I make this dip, I usually use a 10 oz can of Rotel medium or hot salsa but it’s a matter of personal preference)
  • 1 16 oz package Velveeta, cut into ½ inch cubes

Add 1/3 of cheese cubes to a saucepan on low to medium heat, stirring until melted. Gradually add Rotel and cheese cubes until entire mixture is melted. Serve warm with tortilla chips, pita chips, carrots, celery, the options are endless! (Serves 4)

Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Footballs:

Need a pick-me-up from that last bad play? These bite-sized and party-ready strawberries add a touch of class to any gathering. Plus, they are ADORABLE and so on theme! You can even skewer these berries for easier consumption (think cake pops).

• 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 oz white chocolate, chopped
  • 1 pound strawberries (about 20) stems removed, washed and dried

Melt semisweet chocolate (for really easy results, microwave in a glass bowl for increments of 30 seconds, stirring in between cycles until melted). Carefully dip strawberries in chocolate and allow to harden in your refrigerator. Once they’re set, melt the white chocolate in the same method. Pour the white chocolate into a plastic gallon bag and snip off one corner of the bag to pipe the football stripes onto the strawberries. If skewering, add sticks before dipping in semisweet chocolate.

Courtesy: Bijoux & Bits

For more information about football’s biggest night, check out the NFL’s website here.

Hey! My name is Anne Marie, and I'm a second year Editing, Writing, and Media and International Affairs double major here at FSU. I'm from Tampa, Florida, and when I'm not in class, I can be found reading the news, eating breakfast, or hitting the grind at the gym.
Her Campus at Florida State University.