The Super Bowl Celebrates the Big 5-0

Kasey Lynch and Miranda Mauro (K&M) are out to prove that sports aren’t just for the male gender. Every week we will be giving you updates on what’s going on in the sports world as well as our own perspective on sports-related topics. “Two Girls and Some Sports” is taking the sports column to the next level. And yes, we know what we’re talking about.

Super Bowl 50 was one for the ages. The “Sheriff” aka Peyton Manning (QB for the Denver Broncos) won his second Super Bowl and the young buck Cam Newton (QB for the Carolina Panthers) did not feel like dabbing anymore. The final score of the game was 24-10, which was surprising to many considering the 15-1 Carolina Panthers were favored by 5.5 points.

The Game: The game was not as exciting as the NFL had hoped for and that is coming from someone who usually loves the game more than the commercials and Halftime Show combined. Although, it’s hard to top last year’s New England Patriots last second interception win over the Seattle Seahawks. The Broncos took an early lead in the first quarter and held onto that lead until the very end. The man of the night was surprisingly not Peyton Manning, but Von Miller who was crowned Super Bowl MVP – he’s the linebacker for the Denver Broncos who got two and a half sacks as well as two forced fumbles on the night. The Broncos defense overall is what won them this game. Cam Newton threw for more yards and the Carolina Panthers rushed for more yards, but it was not enough. Peyton Manning became the oldest QB to win a Super Bowl and the only player to win it with two different teams (he won Super Bowl XLI with the Indianapolis Colts). He says he’s going to “Drink a lot of Budweiser tonight.”

Courtesy: @NFL Twitter

The Commercials: Doritos was the big man on the television screen taking the top spot as per usual. Puppy monkey baby, the Mountain Dew commercial, will forever haunt us in our dreams. Helen Mirran reminded us in the Budweiser commercial to not drink and drive, but there were no puppies. The NFL celebrated 50 years of Super Bowls with a touching “Football is Family” commercial filled with Super Bowl babies. A majority of the commercials were promoting CBS (the station that the Super Bowl is broadcasted on) consisting of their several TV and talk shows. It seemed as though the commercial breaks were shorter, which would make sense considering it cost $5 million for a 30-second spot.

The Halftime Show: Speaking of too short, the Halftime Show completely dominated and was one of the best of all time. I think in honor of the 50th Super Bowl, they should have made the Halftime Show longer than 12 minutes. Coldplay started it off with their classics including “Viva La Vida” and “Paradise.” Bruno Mars joined in with his leather jacket crew to sing “Uptown Funk” and just when you thought it could not get any better, the Queen herself aka Beyonce stormed the field. She started off with her new song “Formation” and everyone completely lost their minds when she took the stage. She, Bruno Mars and Coldplay were like heaven to the ears as the three sang together paying homage to the Super Bowl halftime shows of the past. Oh, and Beyonce casually announced she’s going on tour.

Courtesy: @NFL Twitter

Comments: This is the exact outcome I wanted. I think Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos deserved a victory dance. There have been many questions surrounding the retirement of Manning after this season and it’s always nice to leave on a high note. Somebody who can and definitely should learn from Manning is Cam Newton. Newton enjoys celebrating an obnoxious amount (basically how dabbing was born) and seems to have a big head. He did not even talk to reporters after his loss, which is just being a sore loser. I think if he brought it down a notch he will be standing at that podium one day. The commercials were at all-time low, the Halftime Show needed to be longer and please for the sanity of me and everyone else: stop dabbing. 

Miranda is a Senior at FSU pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Her interests mainly include sports, sports, and more sports although she was never the athlete (oops). Her love for sports balances out her girly ways. She can sit down and cheer on her favorite New York teams with just as much passion as buying a new top (on sale of course). She is absolutely obsessed with her puggle, scrolling Twitter, and sleeping in. She hopes to rule the sports world someday, own a baby elephant, live on the beach, and have a big family. 
Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_