Summer\'s b&w headshot
Summer\'s b&w headshot
Summer Schantz

Summer Schantz: Film Student, Photographer, Artist

Feb. 12, 2020 – I rushed out of speech class, almost tripped down the exit stairs of the Health & Wellness Center and began my speed walk to Argo Tea, pumping with equal amounts of excitement and nervousness.

I was on my way to interview the person who made art accessible to me, a photographer whose work captures life perfectly, communicates emotions beautifully and makes those viewing feel overwhelmingly human. Summer Schantz was already sitting down when I got there; everything about her was pretty much expected, in the best way possible. Thrifted clothes, star earrings, one leg propped up onto the seat next to her – the stereotypical art student, ready to be interrogated by an overexcited Her Campus writer. 

Photo of Summer Schantz in color
Summer Schantz

Summer, herself.

I began by asking Schantz about her biggest goal – to which she immediately responded and asked me my biggest goal, which was, you know, pretty cool. From that interaction, I was given a glimpse into how humble she is. And in her position, a spot in the highly coveted Florida State Film School and an Instagram account with over 30,000 followers, she had every reason not to be like that. 

Summer\'s New York sunset photo
Summer Schantz

“Currently figuring things out. I’m unsure as to exactly what I want to do with my life, but I think I’d like to be a creative director for a musical artist or a brand and delegate to people through art. Photography means a lot to me; the ways in which it reflects life, allows us to look at things from different perspectives, it’s beautiful, you know? I think that’s why film appeals to me as well.”

To which I enthusiastically nodded – because Summer Schantz was talking to me about photography.

Summer\'s b&w photo of Laney Tripp
Summer Schantz

“Oh, and I play bass for Laney Tripp, who I met while studying abroad in Florence, Italy. If she makes it big, I’d love to tour with her.”

We transitioned into a conversation about her latest project – a film tentatively titled White Picket Fence. It follows two boys who break into houses for fun, one of whom has a bad home life. He’s led himself to believe that, because of his bad home life, he doesn’t deserve to go to his friend’s house. This friend tags along on the house raids, just to have fun. Summer claimed that “It has a happy ending,” but I guess we’ll have to decide for ourselves at the ASLC screening on Apr. 30.  

Summer directing her film
Summer Schantz

“Adolescence, coming-of-age, family, those are my favorite themes. None of us experience childhood in the same way, and our early experiences play a big role in who we become. I’m really proud of White Picket Fence and I absolutely adore the boys; it’s the first time I’ve truly enjoyed directing. I felt like I actually understood it.”

Our discussion turned to film. We talked about Greta Gerwig (one of Schantz’s major sources of inspiration) and the film school application process. I expected Schantz to say that studying Film at FSU had been her dream since childhood, but she gave me a different story. 

Individual photo of Summer directing
Summer Schantz

“I applied on a whim. When I was in high school, I didn’t plan on attending college in Florida. My mom really wanted me to apply to at least one school in Florida, though, which is financially smart. While filling out the FSU application, I chose Film as my major, even though I didn’t really know what the Film School was. I originally planned on studying Art History somewhere on the West Coast, but I’m really glad I didn’t do that. The Film School has given me experiences I wouldn’t have gotten anywhere else.”

She then sat back in her chair, looked around and said, “Before you got here, I was just looking around and reflecting. I’m so thankful things happened the way they did.” Intrigued, I asked what the best part about the Film School was.

Summer standing in a circle while directing
Summer Schantz

“The sense of community, for sure. We’re a family. You really see everyone at their highest highs and lowest lows. It’s also really interesting to see how different personalities are portrayed in directing styles. The best part is when the nice, gentle guy directs a gory, horror film.”

Expecting to hear  “Greta Gerwig,” I asked Schantz who her biggest inspiration was. Her response was endearing, given without a moment of thought and was, in fact, not Greta Gerwig. Schantz said, “Definitely my parents.” She shared that they always made sure she got to experience everything (which is probably why she’s so good at capturing life in her photography, so I’d like to send them my eternal gratitude through this article). 

Summer\'s photo of the inside of a hot air balloon.
Summer Schantz

“Last year, I made a documentary about my mom; she’s a professional hot air balloonist and has broken 27 world records. My dad is my best friend.”

In an attempt to relate to her, I asked Schantz about the Oscars. Her rundown was that Little Women should have won more and 1917 deserved Production Design, but she approved of everything else. Schantz then said, “I’m really glad Parasite won. Easily best movie of the year. Possibly the best movie of the decade.”

I finished by asking what she would say if she knew the entire world was listening. Her response?

“Go look at the sky.”

Summer\'s pink sky photo
Summer Schantz

So, BRB I’m going to go look at the sky.

All photos courtesy of Summer Schantz.

Answers have been modified for clarity.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Passionate about plant-based eating, distance running, and Pilates. Lover of dessert, coffee shops and picnics. Probably drinking chai, listening to Taylor Swift and thinking about living in London (or maybe just scrolling through Pinterest).
Her Campus at Florida State University.