Summer Jams Perfect For Every Playlist

Imagine you’re in the car, windows down, driving down to the beach with your best friends. Sounds perfect, right? It feels like it can’t get any better than that, but some how there’s still something missing: an absolute killer playlist or mix CD. Whether your summer will be full of lazy beach days, running around NYC during your dream internship, or suffering through the torture that is the summer semester, you’re going to need some backing music. Here are ten songs that will be the perfect soundtrack to your 2014 summer. (And they’re all ladies or female-fronted bands!)

Sleeper Agent – “Waves”

“Waves” is the first single off of their second full-length album, “About Last Night”, and it has been on repeat on my iPod for the last month. With a catchy chorus and fun beat, there aren’t many songs that can beat out “Waves” this summer.

Lily Allen – “Hard Out Here”

Between the sharp lyrics, must-dance-to-it beat, and satirical video, it’s pretty easy to see why “Hard Out Here” is starting to pop up everywhere. Lily Allen is a wonderful woman.

Janelle Monáe – “Electric Lady” (feat. Solange)

As if you needed another reason to listen Janelle Monáe, this song features Solange, and it kicks so much a**. You’ll be singing along to “Electric Lady” by the second time you listen to it.

Speedy Ortiz – “Tiger Tank”

If you still have not listened to Speedy Ortiz, you’re seriously missing out on some great stuff, especially if you love guitar. Take my word of it, and put “Tiger Tank” on that mixed CD that will grace your car’s CD player all summer.

Phantogram – “Fall In Love”

“Fall In Love” doesn’t sound like what you’d immediately think of when the term “summer jam” is thrown around, but I guarantee that you’ll almost blow your speakers every time it comes on.

Foxes – “Let Go For Tonight”

If you like being jealous of flawless hair, eyeliner, and vocals, then “Let Go For Tonight” will be the perfect match for you. Be warned, you will want to try to belt out this entire song when you listen to it, so make sure you’re with friends that won’t judge your singing ability.

Iggy Azalea – “Fancy (feat. Charli XCX)”

This song/video does two things: gets stuck in your head all day long and reminds us how cute the wardrobe was in the movie “Clueless”. Yes, ladies, this video parodies “Clueless”. Get excited. 

Kate Nash – “Fri-End?”

Like all Kate Nash songs, “Fri-End?” is hard to listen to without singing along, which makes it ideal for summertime. Who doesn’t love Kate Nash?

St. Vincent – “Digital Witness”

“Digital Witness” showcases the sheer excellence that is St. Vincent. This song gets played constantly on alt. radio and is well on its way to do the same on Top 40 stations, but I don’t think I’m ever going to get sick of this song – even if it’s all I hear all summer.

Kayla Jewell is a senior Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University, minoring in Communications and Film Studies. She doesn't like to think about what happens after graduation. When she’s not doing schoolwork, Kayla spends her time stalking celebrities on the internet, taking naps, and going to concerts.
Lauren Burkett is an alumna of Florida State University, where she studied Editing, Writing and Media.  Since graduating in 2014, she has worked in marketing, as a flight attendant and now works in the oil and gas industry.  She was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU during her time there, and is ecstatic to continue her involvement with the organization as a Chapter Advisor.  Lauren now lives in Denver, Colorado and enjoys being outside, reading and journaling in her free time.