Stunning Road Trips You Won’t Want to Miss this Winter Break

It’s the most wonderful time of the year – that is, the time when the semester is over and we can all take a couple of breathers for a few weeks! However, when do we ever consider taking a small road trip first after we wrap up our semesters and make our safe travels back home?

Just in Florida alone, there are numerous hidden treasures and gems that would amaze anyone looking for some fun and adventure – from waterfalls to caves to werewolves and more.

However, Florida’s close neighbor Georgia also has some wonders that you have to see, such as beautiful mountains and picturesque sunsets, only hours away.

Here’s a list of the top four places to visit on a road trip if you were leaving from Tallahassee, Florida.

Florida Caverns State Park – Fanning Springs State Park (18020 US-19, Fanning Springs, FL. 32693)

Courtesy: THEGRAPHIC-DESIGN.INFO

Only two hours away, Florida Caverns State Park’s beautiful Fanning Springs State Park is an “inviting source of cool, clear, crisp water that has attracted people for thousands of years.” Not only do the springs offer a refreshing dip into 72-degree water, but it also offers an abundance of underwater sea creatures to meet and explore, such as musk turtles, bass, mullet, freshwater flounder, bowfin and manatees. The Fanning Springs State Park also offers a breathtaking stroll through a cypress swamp with cypress knees that stand six feet tall. At the end of the boardwalk, you’lll overlook the ever-flowing Suwannee River and may also encounter white-tailed deer, gray squirrels, red-shouldered hawks, woodpeckers and owls.

Devil’s Den (5390 NE 180th Avenue, Williston, FL. 32696 )

Courtesy: Simply Gharib

Hop in your car and take this two-and-a-half-hour drive to “Florida’s Premier Pre-Historic Spring” where you’ll experience Florida’s natural history like no other. Brought in 1993, this underground spring is home to many fossils of extinct animals, dating back to the Pleistocene Age, and is home to many underground wonders! On cold winter mornings, you can see smoke-like steam rising from the opening that surrounds the spring, giving it it’s iconic Devil’s Den name. Water-lovers will also enjoy diving to the wonders of the water through snorkeling and scuba diving to explore the unknown at Florida’s historic Devil’s Den!

Seacrest Wolf Reserve, Chipley Florida (3449 Bonnett Pond Rd, Chipley, FL 32428)

Courtesy: Visit Washington County

Have you ever thought of playing with wolves before? Neither did I until I discovered where, only an hour and a half away, the Seacrest Wolf Reserve takes humans “on a walking journey into large, natural habitats that are home to Gray, Arctic and British Columbian wolves.” This exciting hands-on experience allows participants to learn more about these keystone species with Seacrest Wolf Ambassadors while stepping out of our comfort zone and exploring the world that’s around us. This three-and-a-half-hour tour includes the Small Animal Adventure, where you can feed the raccoons, hug a skunk, play with foxes and more.

Georgia’s Blueridge (152 Orvin Lance Drive, Blue Ridge, Georgia 30513)

Courtesy: Trip Advisor

Venturing a little further outside Tallahassee, only six hours away is the beautiful mountain town in Georgia, Georgia’s Blueridge. Only 90 miles north of Atlanta on I-95, enjoy this small-town vibe with glorious mountain views, iconic sunsets, trails and clear blue lakes. Georgia’s Blueridge makes the perfect getaway for that long-needed relaxation after a full-fledged fall semester! Not only does Georgia’s Blueridge offer unforgettable nature views, but they also offer farms and orchards, unforgettable waterfalls, hiking, a swinging bridge and more.

Whip out your old-school maps (Google Maps works too), hop in your car, blast your favorite playlist and take an adventure of a lifetime to these beautiful and iconic treasures!

Hi! My name is Krysten Brenlla, an FSU senior double majoring in Public Relations & Editing Writing & Media, from beautiful Miami, Florida. I'm an aspiring Integrated Marketing guru, with a passion for movies, television shows, mystery books (Agatha Christie all the way) and finally, writing!
Her Campus at Florida State University.