China Rep Imagejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
China Rep Imagejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Jocelyn Arbogast

Studying Abroad in China Is Not as Scary as You Think…

Standing in line with a passport in hand, worrisome thoughts rushed through my mind causing my anxiety to skyrocket. The line became shorter and shorter, and before I knew it, I was boarding a flight on my own for the first time from Orlando, Florida to Newark, New Jersey. When traveling beforehand, I have always been accompanied by my family. However, most of our trips have been via car; therefore, the last time I was on a plane was when I was seven years old visiting my mother’s home country, Panama.

During my first year at Florida State University, though, I decided that I wanted to study abroad. With many locations to choose from, I was drawn mostly toward the program to Tianjin, China.  One of my majors is Chinese; therefore, I thought it was befitting to pick a destination that would align with what I study at university.

Never before did I think I would visit China, especially alone! Boarding onto the AirChina flight from Newark, New Jersey to Tianjin, China was nerve-wracking. Throughout the flight, I could only wonder what was in store for me in the foreign country. I even made a mental list of the possible problems I could encounter in order to feel more prepared.

When arriving, though, everything felt much easier. I worried a lot about communicating, but when in the environment, Mandarin becomes a bit easier due to hearing it, seeing it, and thanks to Pleco (an app I recommend anyone studying Mandarin to download). I was also concerned about the weather, thinking that it would be terribly hot; however, the weather was bearable. If you can survive a summer in Tallahassee, you can survive a summer in Tianjin.

I imagine a lot of people hesitate to ever visit China, though. Friends and family are always surprised to learn that I spent a semester abroad in a level two-country, according to the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Council Affairs for trip advisory. People also worry due to the different government implemented in China. However, I will say that I had a wonderful, great, amazing time studying in Tianjin, China. I have an abundance of fond memories, visited a number of beautiful locations, and participated in many exciting events. The people never treated me poorly, nor did I ever feel entirely unsafe while abroad.

Courtesy: Jocelyn Arbogast

A number of Florida State students consider studying abroad in London, Florence or Valencia the most. In retrospect, these locations are deemed the safest to travel, and these are the locations promoted the most by International Program’s social media. Their other programs, though, need to be considered! You can learn so much about culture and about yourself on trips that take you out of your comfort zone.

China is not as scary as everyone thinks. Sure, people will glance and call out, “外国人!” Which, by the way, means foreigners; however, you become used to the comment because you are, indeed, a foreigner in their country. The younger generation is also more accepting thanks to media; therefore, they won’t point unless they’re from a smaller village with rare access to outside media. Tianjin, though, is also a foreign city in which a number of foreigners visit and reside due to the many connections the city has with outside locations. At Tianjin Foreign Studies University, there were students from Japan, South Korea, France, Russia, and Uganda, for instance. When you visit Beijing and Xi’an, you will also see foreigners all around. In places like Datong, though, you may get more looks, but you’ll be fine.

Courtesy: Jocelyn Arbogast

The people there are also understanding of language barriers. They will simply be happy that you are at least trying to learn Mandarin, which is a difficult language for English speakers to learn. You just have to put in some effort and have Pleco ready to assist in order to interact. If you really need to use English, though, that’s okay because, believe it or not, there are many people in this city with English speaking skills due to studying the language throughout school.

All in all, studying in China is not as intimidating as everyone thinks. I got to learn so much from the experience; I even rode a bike for the first time after thirteen years of avoiding the activity! If there is a program available from either International Programs or Global Exchanges, consider a place that you would have never thought of before. I promise you will come back wanting to return.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Jocelyn is a senior at FSU studying Editing, Writing, and Media (EWM) and Chinese as well as seeking her TESOL certification with the Department of Education. If not studying or volunteering, she enjoys spending time with her black cat Salem watching YouTube videos.
Her Campus at Florida State University.