Style

Strike Out in Style: An Inside Look at ‘Strike Magazine’ Volume Nine

Strike Magazine is a student-run lifestyle publication that was founded at Florida State University (FSU) and launched in December of 2016. Strike now holds issues at 11 other universities and focuses on publishing creative content from the world of fashion, art and culture. The magazine is comprised of a community of creative students each with unique visions, perspectives and ideas that are contributed throughout the creative process. The overall mission of Strike is to publish content that represents “diversity, individuality and creativity in all forms.” The purpose of Strike Magazine is to “break conventional standards in image, content and design” and to encourage a community of unique individuals to express themselves through fashion, art and culture.

In my two years following Strike on Instagram, I have enjoyed viewing their one-of-a-kind fashion and digital posts, and appreciate their take on current events. Strike also involves their audience by posting behind-the-scenes footage to their Instagram story showcasing their elaborate and innovative photoshoots and ultimately portraying their creative process. The lifestyle magazine is constantly evolving and publishing a wide range of content varying from matters on beauty, fashion, lifestyle and impressive digital posts. Strike has recently produced blog content on topics including popular Netflix shows, reality tv drama, COVID-19 stories, inspiring photoshoots and more. The amount of time and effort that is put into each Strike issue is undeniable but the work that these students produce is rare and full of talent.

girl\'s eyes with film clapperboard
Photo by Mason Kimbarovsky from Unsplash

Although the theme is kept secret until the release, Strike’s upcoming issue has been described to be creative and more fashion-focused. Savannah Tindall, Editor-in-Chief of Strike Magazine, stated, “I am super excited that we were able to include more shoots that explore our theme than our last issue.”

There will be 16 different shoots and 17 different articles in the upcoming issue, and from the digital shoots published this semester, we can only assume that the shoots in Volume Nine will be even more colorful, diverse and serene. Almost all of the directors for Strike have expressed their love for photoshoots and Emily Russell, Strike’s Creative Director, stated, “My favorite part of working on this issue has been attending all of the photoshoots that go into it. I love being there and feeling inspired, and then watching it translate to art.”

Aside from the excitement of photoshoots, according to Savannah Tindall, the Strike Magazine staff are “passionate creatives” who are dedicated to creating a magazine that incorporates a broad range of ideas and viewpoints. You can be sure that this staff is dedicated as many of them work up to 40 hours a week and don’t stop working until every detail is finalized.

Sara Sanfilippo, the External Director for Strike, explained, “I love the people on Strike. Everyone is so supportive, kind and creative. The team environment is amazing because everyone wants to hear everyone else’s ideas and do everything they can to help put them into action.” The inclusivity, shared visions and commitment are what provide Strike Magazine with an edge and what produces the best and most professional-looking content.

From what I have heard, I assume Volume Nine will be very innovative and artistic. Brianna Winders, Strike’s Advertising Director, said, “Volume Nine is different from other issues because the theme allows one to interpret the shoots in multiple ways. I love how creative this issue is and think that people are really going to enjoy it!”

Strike Magazine never fails to publish unique and creative issues in every installment. Strike will release their ninth volume issue in April but pre-order is available until March 26!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Aryana is currently a freshman at FSU. In hopes of opening her own medical practice one day, Aryana is majoring in Business Management while on the pre-med track. She has a love for fitness, Bruno Mars, and all things fashion. If she isn't chasing a sunset, she's making an acaí bowl...hopefully without breaking a blender this time.
Her Campus at Florida State University.