Stop the Stereotype: What It’s Like Being a “Sorority Girl”

We all know the image: straight blonde hair, cradling a designer handbag and nursing an increasingly problematic Starbucks addiction. If you asked 100 people on the street to define a young woman in a sorority, many would utter a description close to this, partnered with terms such as “dumb,” “b*tch,” and “slut.” Now, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with being blonde, having great taste in accessories or harboring a loving adoration for overpriced coffee. However, there is a growing problem among college campuses with women in sororities becoming subject to derogatory stereotypes that could not be further from the truth. It is terms like the ones mentioned that shed a negative light on Greek organizations, and prompt society to turn a girl in a sorority into a “sorority girl.”

For some reason, it seems like people conceptualize that sorority women don’t have feelings; that we’re just preppy robots out to prove our superiority. However, this is not the case. We are people too, and I can’t speak for every sorority member in the country, but I assume that many are deeply hurt by the stereotypes thrust upon us. It’s extremely belittling and upsetting to be told that you aren’t smart enough to take a certain class, or are too mean to make friends that aren’t “bought for you.”

Jessica Smith*, a sophomore here at Florida State, spoke out about how the negative stereotypes affect her. “Once I was walking back to my dorm and I heard two boys talking behind me,” she said. “They were saying how one girl in a sorority had raised her hand in class and said the wrong answer. Due to this, they stated that all sorority members are ‘stupid bimbos’.” Getting an answer wrong in class does not mean that you are any less intelligent than the person sitting next to you. Neither does being in a sorority. Carly Johnson* told me of a time that a boy assumed she would go home with him because she was in a sorority, and was extremely angered when she refused. He shouted, “Aren’t girls in sororities supposed to be sluts?” as she walked away.

The negative vibe that immediately exists in the air the second you utter, “I’m in a sorority,” is like a dark cloud suddenly emerging on an otherwise sunny day. The labels of incompetency, cattiness, ignorance and promiscuity need to be put to an end. Many sorority women may question, “Why does being in a sorority make me different?” The true answer is, it doesn’t. We major in the same things as other people (sorry we aren’t all studying retail merchandising), we cook the same meals (yes we cook for ourselves), we drive the same cars (no I don’t have a Mercedes), and we breathe the same air. How is this suddenly twisted into us being babbling, vapid idiots who know more about hair products than we do traffic laws?

Contrary to our popularly negative depiction, women in sororities value the concept of sisterhood. We dedicate ample time annually to raising money and awareness for philanthropic causes, and beam with pride at the opportunity to be a part of something much bigger than ourselves. We are strong, dedicated, and poised. Being a part of a sorority can actually benefit one’s college experience. These organizations instill confidence in young women by providing them with opportunities in which they can be the change. They encompass leadership and values that are steadily utilized in the future. They promote self-awareness and self-respect with the backbone of 250 girls who want nothing more than for you to succeed. Sororities have the potential to bring out the best possible versions of young women, and negative stereotypes just hinder the opportunity.

This article is not aiming to demonstrate the victimization of sorority women; I wrote it because I’m tired of people deeming me incapable due to the letters on my shirt. No woman enjoys being objectified, degraded, or labeled, and just because we are in sororities does not mean we will tolerate it. College is a time to find yourself, and it is challenging to do so when there are so many stereotypes holding you back. I once heard a girl say, “Your letters don’t make you better than everyone else, they make you a better person within yourself.” I don’t think any words have more perfectly described what it’s like to be in a sorority. They should serve as a guideline for all people regardless of Greek membership; view people as equals, and don’t judge a book based on its cover.

*Names have been changed.

~Editor-in-Chief~ Senior Honors Student at FSU Major: Editing, Writing and Media Minor(s): Communications and Psychology Likes: The beach, green tea, Friends re-runs, chats with her mom and going for hikes Follow: Instagram @samswan and Twitter @swan_sam "In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi
Her Campus at Florida State University.