Staying Safe at Florida State

Over the past few weeks, Florida State students have received one too many emails of dangerous acts occurring on campus. Whether it be through sexual battery, abduction, or anything else, multiple students have been involved in violent and frightening events that no person should ever have to experience. Luckily, most of these incidents have been unsuccessful attempts at harming these innocent victims – most were able to get away. However, these circumstances should not be overlooked.

The most terrifying part of each of these incidents was that they happened on campus. This brings to light the fact that something like this could happen to any person, at any time, at any place. This means that we have to do everything we can to make sure we are being as safe as we possibly can every day. There are a few things you can do to avoid being the victim of a predicament such as those that have been taking place on Florida State’s campus, and there are also a number of things you can do to deal with any dangerous situation you may be put in.

Take a Defense Class

After reading about these scary and violent events occurring on campus, we can all conclude that any one of us can be put in the middle of a violent situation at any time. Because of this, we should all take precautions so that if we are put into any dangerous situations, we have the ability to handle them. Taking a self-defense class is a great way to learn how to defend yourself against any harmful person.  The Florida State University Police Department offers Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) Training for women. Grab a few of your friends and head to one of these classes, taught by certified instructors, to learn about self-defense strategies. Visit their website for more information on the class.

S.A.F.E. Bus

We all have late nights at Strozier at least once or twice a week. Instead of walking to your dorm or the parking lot by yourself at two in the morning, you can call Student Alert Force Escort Connection, otherwise known as S.A.F.E. Bus. The bus will pick you up and drop you off at any on-campus location, and it’s free! It runs from seven at night to three in the morning, every day of the week. So instead of walking around campus in the dark, call (850)-644-7233. 

FSU Female Walking Buddies

This Facebook group was created a few weeks ago as a way for women to cope with the harmful situations occurring on campus in the past few weeks. Florida State females can post on the group, asking for a friend to walk home with. Rather than walking home alone, you can walk home with a fellow classmate. You can also grab a ride home from anyone else in the area, or you can offer to do so for anyone else!

It’s important to be aware and stay smart when you’re on campus or going home at night. There are many resources you can use to avoid putting yourself in harms way, and there are many precautions you can use to prepare yourself if you ever encounter a dangerous person. These past few weeks have shown just how many people there at Florida State who are willing to go above and beyond to keep each other safe, so take advantage! 

Megan is a freshman at Florida State University studying Retail Merchandising. She is originally from Miami, FL, but dreams of living in New York. In her spare time she enjoys writing, blogging, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns, and all things fashion. Twitter: meganmaguire_ Instagram: meggmaguiree
Her Campus at Florida State University.