2021 is a new year full of opportunities and possibilities. Last year, 2020, seemed like it was never going to end. As a sad reality, more than 1.83 million individuals died in 2020 because of COVID-19. People still continue to be affected by the virus and it is a situation that will not go away in the next couple of years.

As humans, we have learned to adapt to our surroundings and situations. If you think about it, we have been adapting and evolving since our existence. COVID-19 has become one of the new adaptations we as humans have attained. I am not saying that COVID is over or the pandemic should not be treated without the same precautions as it was last year.

The point or goal of this article is to let you all know that at the end of the tunnel there will be light, and our dreams and goals should not be stopped because of the pandemic. Yes, we have stopped engaging with other individuals due to the fear of the virus and have not seen our loved ones in quite a while, but there is light. I am hopeful that by the end of the year we are going to see our loved ones and experience a little bit of “normalcy.” The term “normalcy” is not something that will ever be the same. COVID-19 has impacted all our lives, but it is not something that should make us stop living.

Take 2021 as a year of opportunities and new beginnings. If there is something we have learned throughout the last year is that we need to take advantage of what we have and cherish. Take that time to call your families, friends or people you do not even talk to very often. Take the day to study, sleep in, work out, paint or do the things you love. At the end of the day, when our time comes to leave this planet, we will not have anybody but ourselves. This is a reality that has taken me a while to accept; we come into this world alone and we die alone. It sounds awful when you say it but it’s a reality we have to accept. I am not saying this to make you depressed or sad; I am saying this to let you know that it’s time to take life and appreciate it.

Happy Girl
Photo by Alex Alvarez from Unsplash

We have very small window in this world, and we need to appreciate it to the fullest. Our time on this planet is counted by days, hours and seconds. Hence, take this 2021 and be the own author of your life, your book. If you want to be a novelist, an actor, a teacher or a doctor, do it. Just try to be the best you can be at what you aspire to do.

Conclusively, keep going even if it seems like this season is not going to end because as I mentioned before, there is light and that should be your main motivation for life. We shall never forget the joy that life brings, we shall always remember that we come into this life with one purpose and that is happiness. However, you decide how to obtain joyfulness, whether it’s going for a run, to the beach, singing, driving or even reading. Finally, this does not mean you should only let 2021 be your year; every year afterwards can be yours too!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Basiliki Kosmas is originally from Panama City, Panama. She is double majoring in Finance & Criminology at Florida State University.
Her Campus at Florida State University.