‘Star Wars’ Theme Park Making an Early Debut at Disney

Disney is transforming their classic saying “it’s a small world” to “it’s out of this world” as the Star Wars attractions are making their debut at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World in late spring 2019. Fans are even more excited due to the early release of the Star Wars attractions that were not expected until Aug. 29. Fans can now mark their calendars for the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge grand opening that will be taking place at the Disneyland Resort in California on May 31. Layouts of the upcoming attraction have been released to depict what the theme-lands will look like. You can see a sneak peek in the picture below. 

Courtesy: Market Watch

Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, announced the release of the opening date at the company’s shareholder meeting. While this announcement created all sorts of positive buzz, the news was then followed by one surprise twist that some began to question.

If the early release of the new attraction coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL wasn’t enough of a twist for you then you will be happy to know that this was only half of it. The twists continued into the second half of the announcement that informed us that due to the early release of the attraction, it meant that other parts of the attraction could open later than expected. The point to get across is that sure, Star Wars is coming early, however, the galactic theme-park operation is taking place in phases. While some of the Star Wars themed attraction will be ready for fans to obsess over, other aspects of the park may not be quite finished yet. The lands are said to consist of two new rides as well as shops and restaurants that are decorated and styled like the imaginary worlds portrayed in the films fans have come to know and love.

Disney followed the announcement with a blog post stating, “In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the land in phases to allow guests to sooner enjoy the one-of-a-kind experiences that make Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so spectacular.”

At the end of the day, I think fans are taking what they can get. Watching these imaginative worlds come to life is more than any Star Wars fan could hope for.

Phase one is to consist of a launch area that will feature a bar/restaurant called Oga’s Cantina. One of the two new rides will also be set in this area, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. The ride is designed to let the rider experience a simulation as if they are flying a spaceship that is piloted by none other than Hans Solo and Chewbacca.

The second phase is to be released at a later date and plans to feature the other new ride, Star Wars: Rise of Resistance. The ride recreates a famous battle in the galactic film, where the First Order and the Resistance fight to the finish. The storyline of this ride follows more along the most recent stories of the Star Wars films. 

Major crowds are expected at both theme parks, so fans and Disney goers need to take caution. 

Disney fans and Star Wars lovers have taken to Twitter to share their emotions about the upcoming Star Wars extravaganza, including how one can gain access to the grand opening.

Courtesy: @ScottGustin

Courtesy: @frncissdominic

Courtesy: @ScottGustin

Courtesy: @jmaruyama

Keep those lightsabers ready, because Disney is going to have us all saying, “Mickey, I am your father” come May. And in regard to being able to attend the attraction on its opening date, well, may the force be with you.

Just one eccentric gal trying to use words to tell my story and yours!
Her Campus at Florida State University.