The Stages of Thanksgiving Dinner As Told By The Cast of “The Office”

Thanksgiving is a holiday often overlooked and underappreciated, in my opinion. The second that Halloween is over, people are flooding their carts with Christmas decorations, and department stores like Macy’s are circulating through Mariah Carey holiday albums on repeat. You would think that a celebration pretty much entirely centered around food (and, you know, giving thanks) would get more representation. Some wait all year for Thanksgiving, a time to partake in traditions and catch up with relatives that travel across the country for this one special time, while others absolutely dread the holiday for whatever reason. We can all share our differing views on Thanksgiving, but at some point or another, we have all found ourselves in at least one of these scenarios during our feasts.

Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, family friends and all gather ‘round at the house and you are all so excited to see each other because it has been so long. Everyone is hugging, kissing, commenting on how much you have grown and matured, so on and so forth. You all catch up, hang up your coats, and get situated for the long night to follow.

And of course, no family gathering is complete without an awkward group photo, in which the use of self-timer always proves unsuccessful because at least three people are usually caught off guard.

The turkey is roasting, the mashed potatoes are simmering over the stove, and the sweet potato casserole is baking – all is good, and then suddenly you’re bombarded with the ever so dreadful questions: “How is school?” “What do you want to do with your life?” “Do you have a boyfriend?” “Are you going to look for a job?” “Have you started applying to grad school?”

Eventually, you just come to terms with the fact that everyone is trying your life, and all you want is some damn food.

Finally… dinner is served. Everyone is enjoying the meal when someone brings up the last presidential election or gun control and the dinner conversation suddenly transitions into a full-blown political debate.

So, much like how you deal with most uncomfortable situations, you escape seeking the pet dog.

But THEN, along with the other female guests, you are sent to the kitchen to clean up while the rest pass out on the couch because that is your duty according to society.

Even though everyone’s stomachs are filled to the brim, you all congregate back in the dining room and loosen your belts for dessert: a concept everyone can agree on.

After the feast is all said and done, you all mentally and physically prepare for the next festivity to come: Black Friday. Some of you wait until 9:00 or 10:00 the next morning to begin deal hunting, while others camp out in front of Best Buy, in the slightest hope of deflecting other determined middle-aged men to snag that discounted television set.

In the end, above all of the drama, you genuinely cherish Thanksgiving and look forward to the time that you have with those you love – Until the next one!

All gifs provided by Giphy

Her Campus at Florida State University.