The Stages of an All-Nighter as Told by the Cast of “Parks and Recreation”

It’s 11 p.m. on a Sunday night and you realize that you have two exams and a paper due tomorrow. Who schedules an exam on a Monday? That’s beside the point. So, you have two options. Option one: go to bed now and wake up way too early so you can study. Option two: all-nighter. You decide to go with option two. All-nighters are an almost inevitable part of college. Almost everyone will pull an all-nighter at some point during college and for those of us who pull them on a regular basis, the stages of one are all too real. What better way to show the stages of an all-nighter than through the cast of Parks and Recreation?

11 p.m.

You have more work due tomorrow than you can handle. No need to freak out! You can do it! Time to grab your laptop, make some coffee and grab all the sugary snacks you can find and get to work.

Courtesy: Giphy

12 a.m.

One hour and two cups of coffee later, you’ve accomplished nothing. You’ve been staring at your laptop trying to figure out where to start while watching YouTube videos to pass the time.

Courtesy: Tumblr

1 a.m.

Time to make a real game plan. You decide that you’ll study for your 8 a.m. exam for an hour, then work on the paper, then study for the noon exam. One more cup of coffee and a Hershey’s Bar later and you’re ready to kill it!

2 a.m.

Good job! You’re ready to ace your 8 a.m.! Okay, maybe not ace it, but you’ll go back and review in a few hours. You deserve a break, so you eat some popcorn and take a nap. A nap never hurt anybody, right?

Courtesy: Giphy

3 a.m.

Wrong. A nap was a very bad idea. All you want to do is go back to sleep, but there’s still so much to do and so little time. Time to break out the big guns. That’s right, it’s time for an energy drink. Grab that can of Monster, do a little lap around your apartment and splash some water on your face to wake yourself up. You’ve got an essay to write.

Courtesy: Giphy

5 a.m.

Two hours later and you’re only halfway through your paper. You’ve started to hit delirium and everything just seems funny. Is the room spinning or is it just your eyes? It’s never too early for coffee, so you make a cup and power through.

Courtesy: Giphy

6 a.m.

Your paper is finished and it’s some of the best work you’ve ever done, if you do say so yourself. Good job! All right, you’re in the home stretch. Time to study for your second exam. Just an hour, though, and then it’s back to prepping for your 8 AM.

7 a.m.

Three shots of espresso later and you’ve got an awesome paper and know everything there is to know about college algebra. You’ve got an hour before your psychology exam and you’re ready for it, but you just need a little bit more time to review.

Courtesy: Giphy

7:45 a.m.

You made it! You wrote an entire essay and are ready to kill your two exams! Make sure you grab a good breakfast (and some more coffee if you’re as addicted as I am) and head to your 8 a.m.. Listen to a pump up song and get ready to kill your day (and then crash once it’s all over).

Courtesy: Giphy

Her Campus at Florida State University.