Spring Forward: 4 Tips to Adjust to Daylight Saving Time

We’re a few months into the year, about halfway through the semester, and we’re all gearing up for Spring Break – WOOHOO! But before you start cramming for exams and buying those bikinis, don’t forget to get ready to prepare to lose an hour. March 11 will mark the start of Daylight Saving Time. When I was younger I never really thought too much about Daylight Saving. I just knew we would gain an extra hour in the spring and lose it in the fall. As I got older and started college, I realized how this affects my favorite activity . . . sleeping! Let’s face it, we college students don’t get much of it, but I think we can all appreciate how beautiful it is to get some sleep in. For this, I will offer a few tips and tricks so that Daylight Saving Time and spring break, won’t throw your sleep schedule off the wall. With these tips, we can all rest assured that we will have enough energy for the longer days ahead! 

Courtesy: NPR

1. Make a sleep pact.

Getting sleep can be a hassle, especially when you’re off doing who knows what at 3 am, but, the best gift to give yourself is sleep. The best way to control your sleep is to make a sleep pact with yourself. Tell yourself how much sleep you will get each night and stick to it. You should be getting about 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Work backward from the time you have to get up to schedule the perfect bedtime. Don’t forget to set your trusted alarm.

2. Prepare!

The “pre” in prepare means before. You need to start adjusting to your new sleep schedule BEFORE Daylight Saving Time even starts. Practice going to bed 15 minutes sooner and gradually work toward going to bed an hour earlier than you usually do. This will ensure that when the hour moves forward, you’ll still have a pretty good bedtime.

3. Your mattress is important!

Now, as college students, we might not be able to get a Tempur-Pedic or Sleep Number bed, but it is important that we check our mattresses for firm support. Mattress pads are perfect to combat the terrible student mattress issue and the bi-annual time changes are the perfect times to change your mattress pads and pillows so that you get the best support—therefore getting the best rest.

4. Quit the midnight snacking!

It’s 11:59 p.m. and you have literally just submitted a paper for class; finally finished. You think about celebrating with some late night Chick-fil-A or Insomnia Cookies—but think again! Eating and drinking can actually disrupt your sleep pattern making you more tired. It sucks that my second favorite thing, behind sleeping, can drain my daily energy. If you’re feeling snacky or restless, usually drinking a calming tea or even a glass of water can fulfill that hunger and aid in digestion while you sleep.

Courtesy: End Your Sleep Deprivation

Whether Daylight Saving Time gives us an hour or takes one away, there are several steps we can all take to get better sleep. These are just a few tips to survive Daylight Saving with minimal consequences. You can now tune back into your regularly scheduled all-nighters and cram sessions, but you have been warned!

Hey dolls! I am super excited to share my articles with you all as part of Hercampus FSU! I hope you all enjoy!
Her Campus at Florida State University.