Spoonful of Vicky: Homemade Mac & Cheese

Mac & Cheese has to be one of my all-time favorite foods. This dish in particular holds a special place in my heart, as it is my best friend’s recipe. She makes it every Friendsgiving. Maintaining a long distance friendship can be hard, but we manage. Food is always my answer to missing someone, it brings you this strong sense of familiarity that we often take for granted. 

Fun fact: I actually had to facetime her while making it to see if I was doing it right.

TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes

Prep: 5 minutes

Cook: 20 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

• Elbow macaroni pasta
  • Broccoli (if you want)
  • ½ cup of butter (use a stick, it’s easier)
  • 3 tablespoons of flour
  • ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
  • ½ tablespoon of onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • ½ teaspoon of pepper
  • Two 12 oz. cans of evaporated milk
  • 3-3 ½ cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese (depends on how cheesy you want it)

Directions:

Cook the elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the package. Typically it takes 6-7 minutes to boil.

Add the broccoli to the macaroni in the last 4 minutes of cooking the pasta, let it boil for the remainder of the time

Then, it’s time to start the sauce. Grab a sauce pan and melt the stick of butter. Add the flour immediately after the butter melts.

Add the garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. Then mix it until it is all smooth, it will create a paste like texture.

Once this is achieved, add both cans of evaporated milk. Stir.

Once the milk starts to bubble, add the cheese. Stir until it has fully melted.

Add it to the elbow macaroni

*The heat on the stove should not be any higher than medium for this recipe.*

Courtesy: Victoria Weler

I did not add the broccoli, but it goes perfectly with the Mac & Cheese.

If you want the cheese to harden, I suggest baking it after. It all depends on your preference. It tastes good in every way, I promise!

Enjoy!!!

Her Campus at Florida State University.