The Spookiest Make Out Spots at FSU

Even though it might not look like it here at FSU, the calendar has declared that fall is officially upon us! Everywhere people are gulping down the infamous Pumpkin Spice Lattes, hanging garlands of red and gold leaves and dusting off their scarves in preparation for when the cold finally settles in. Along with this fabulous season comes one of the greatest holidays: Halloween! Students are already planning out their raging parties and killer costumes (pun intended). If you’re looking for an excuse to get your spook on (since October isn’t technically here yet) and talk to that cute guy in your economics class, then you should check out the spookiest spots to make out at FSU.

The story of the Keen building sounds like one ripped out of a scene from American Horror Story. Dr. James Velma Keen (hint-hint: the guy the building was named after) is said to have performed lobotomies for his experiments on the highest floor of the building. The university ceased paying for his research when it was decided that more harm was coming from them than good. Dr. Keen was infuriated and continued his work late at night while using homeless people for his experiments. If you look at the Keen building late at night, or any time of the day, the lights on the top floor of the building are always on. That’s because they’ve never been able to turn off since. So get ready to smack some lips in the light of the lobotomy, er, physics building.

Courtesy: Oblesby Union

The oldest spooky story comes from pre-FSU times. Close to where Westcott Fountain resides, Gallows Hill was built in 1829. Here, they executed the city’s most devious criminals. The very first hanging there was of a mother charged with murdering her own child! There have been reports of students experiencing chills and hearing odd noises around the area during the nighttime. When you visit, just push past all the freshly new and drunk twenty-one-year-olds to the parts of the area that are more secluded and listen for the howls of evil spirits, angry at their gruesome fates, then just go ham and make out so hard.

Courtesy: Alex Owen

If a mad scientist and an evil mother aren’t enough to freak you into your s/o’s arms, this next story will surely rattle your bones. In the 1940s, a young girl was sunbathing on the roof of Cawthon Hall when the wacky Tally weather hit and brought in a thunderstorm. The girl tried to get back in but ultimately failed and was killed by a lightning strike. She died instantly. Students who live on the top floor of the building have claimed that they have experienced pounding on the windows and have heard crying and screaming. If you’re brave enough, tread on up to the fourth floor (mad respect for those who actually live there) to complete your kissing rounds.

Courtesy: mapio.net

So whether you’re looking just to get spooked or are planning to finally get the moves on with your crush, make sure you check out these places sometime in the next month!

Hi, my name is Emma. I am a sophomore majoring in English literature with a minor in French. What I lack in athleticism, I make up for in puns, off-key singing, and love of my cat, Thomas.
Her Campus at Florida State University.