Ever since I watched the first trailer for the movie Split, I knew it was something I had to watch.  Whether I heard good or bad reviews, I already made my mind up that I was seeing it—the trailer was just that good. However, when I saw it was rated PG-13 I was slightly skeptical.  Personally, I just think a movie is going to be more intense overall if it’s rated R.  Split first aired in theaters on January 20, 2017; since that day, people have been talking about it non-stop.  My friends, my teachers, even my cashier at CVS recommended it to me.  Eventually, my roommates and I picked a night and made it happen.

The film stars James McAvoy, a Scottish actor who you may recognize from the X-Men movies.  In Split, he plays the character Kevin, who inhabits a total of 23 identities, each with their own name and personality.  Two interesting identities we experience in the film are a woman named Patricia and a young boy named Hedwig.

Split also stars Anya Taylor-Joy, a twenty-year-old American-born actress and model.  Her role in the film is as a young high school girl named Casey.  Two other actresses, blank and blank play a less prominent role.  Dr. Fletcher, Kevin’s psychiatrist, also appears quite frequently. 

Courtesy: IMBD

The plot begins when Casey, Claire and Marcia are kidnapped and held captive by Kevin, a sufferer of dissociative identity disorder, in what seems like a basement.  Originally confused, they soon learn that their kidnapper constantly changes his identity.  Certain identities are more violent and aggressive than others, so the suspense is built when the girls must wait to see which identity will confront them next.

The underlying tension of the film is Kevin’s twenty-fourth identity that his psychiatrist fears will emerge soon.  I won’t spoil it for you, though.  What I will say is that the ending felt like a little too much to handle—things started getting irrational.  However, I would highly recommend Split to anyone.  Although it wasn’t as much as a horror film as I expected it to be, it was entertaining, at the least.  So yes, it’s worth the hype.

Courtesy: teaser-trailer.com

Florida State University junior, just winging it.
Her Campus at Florida State University.